roller cam

Martin U

Mornin' people

I going to pull my engine, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to take a look to see how well it's holding up inside. I built it myself.
Plus I'll put new bearings in just because. Can I put new cam bearings in myself?? I should but a roller cam in at the same time---IF I can print some cash. been unemployed to long.

Any roller cam advice, cam size, brand, etc. Does the block need any work to install a roller. build is in my sig.
Marty

......... Can I put new cam bearings in myself?? I should but a roller cam in at the same time---IF I can print some cash. been unemployed to long.

Any roller cam advice, cam size, brand, etc. Does the block need any work to install a roller. build is in my sig.
Marty

Marty,
With your background, I don’t see why you should not be able to install the cam bearings. Just need a tool of course.

As far as the roller;
No mods to the block needed, but, you need the lifter, pushrods, springs, etc (You already know this). Estimated cost is about $800 from FTS.
If the 206/206 is good, leave it in, and run the ZDDP.

As to the cam size; LOTS of opinions on this, andwe need to know your goals.
What is the CR and what boost/RPM do you plan to run?

I don't know squat about these engines so I cant help you there BUT...I do have a lightly used set of Comp lifters for sale cheap out of my old setup. Just pulled them out this week. I had a 206/206 roller cam setup. PM me if interested bud.

I don't have set benchmark as far as speed or RPM, I just want bullet proof as much as I can get. I have never been to the track so times don't mean so much to me. But faster IS better. I only run VR1 + zddp. but a roller has been in the back of my mind just for the reliably factor. I'll give Mike at FT a call to see if I should change springs on the GN1's It has seen 30lbs more than once:eek:
I just read about these lifter vs those lifters etc... King bearings for sure. Cam bearings???? I'll check TAPerformance. Running fast is fun,running all the time is better!
Marty

Marty- I agree with you. My engine is coming out this week due to blown head gasket and the roller cam kit from FTS is ordered. I look at putting the roller cam kit in now as insurance- pain now instead of agony later. Brad

What info do you have on cam bearings? I heard TA's are good. duralast or some thing like that. Are they hard to install?

What info do you have on cam bearings? I heard TA's are good. duralast or some thing like that. Are they hard to install?

I personally have no information on cam bearings. My engine builder will figure that out since one of his specialties is Buick engines. I will find out all the info later this week when he opens up my engine. Brad

I don't have set benchmark as far as speed or RPM, I just want bullet proof as much as I can get. I have never been to the track so times don't mean so much to me. But faster IS better. I only run VR1 + zddp. but a roller has been in the back of my mind just for the reliably factor. Marty
Marty,
I fully agree with the reliability decision.
My FT suggestion was merely based on $$.
If you have the budget, go roller and don't look back.

Marty- I agree with you. My engine is coming out this week due to blown head gasket and the roller cam kit from FTS is ordered. . . . .

Brad,
What cam did you decide on?

Brad,
What cam did you decide on?[/QUOTE]

I am going with the 206/210 simply because it matches my torque converter and will idle the smoothest. Brad

I think I'm going to stay with the 208/208 cam that I have in there now. But I'll probably get a down pipe from gbody. That way I can sell my ported elbow and 2.5 in stainless atr down pipe to offset the cost of the new pipe.
Marty

I think I'm going to stay with the 208/208 cam that I have in there now. But I'll probably get a down pipe from gbody. That way I can sell my ported elbow and 2.5 in stainless atr down pipe to offset the cost of the new pipe.
Marty

Smart idea. The downpipe will make a difference that you will notice right away. My engine should be finsihed up next week. Keep us posted. Brad