Roller cam bearings +/-

Quicksilver

Are roller type cam bearings a positive or negetive? The application might be a 4.1 stage II, a few street miles and trailered to the track for an occasional blast.
I can see the roller elements reducing friction... but I can envision "hemoraging" or not holding oil pressure also.
What is done in this situation?:confused:

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Are roller type cam bearings a positive or negetive? The application might be a 4.1 stage II, a few street miles and trailered to the track for an occasional blast.
I can see the roller elements reducing friction... but I can envision "hemoraging" or not holding oil pressure also.
What is done in this situation?:confused:

They're a great mod, IMO..if you don't mind the initial machine work cost. They will take a lot more load on the front bearing than a stock style bearing.

They totally block the cam bearing oil holes, so your oil pressure gets better, not worse. You need a special BHJ jig to machine the cam bores for them, and you'll need to groove the front cam bearing bore to provide oil to the driver's side oil galley, or cross feed it in back someplace. Then, you really ought to have a BHJ style installer that pulls the bearing into place; BHJ claims that driving the roller bearings in with a standard tool can damage the bearings.

Thanks Kendall,
That makes alot of sence. The rollers would only need " splash" oiling. :cool:
In the Parts F/S, there is a block with the bearings installed . The seller is including two cams that were ground to fit the smaller journal sizes.
John