Rod side clearance

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
Looks like my new build rod side clearance is going to be around .006". Is that too tight for a street strip 109 block? I've read the ideal is around .010"
I'm using stock replacement Molnar Rods and steel forged crank. Stock is .003-.015 but I always feel better with others opinion. I'm hoping to avoid extra machine work but looking for longevity also.
Andrew

Drewster on Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like my new build rod side clearance is going to be around .006". Is that too tight for a street strip 109 block? I've read the ideal is around .010"
I'm using stock replacement Molnar Rods and steel forged crank. Stock is .003-.015 but I always feel better with others opinion. I'm hoping to avoid extra machine work but looking for longevity also.
Andrew
This is very common. You will need to machine the rods. You are looking for .010-.012" side clearance.

since the cyl walls and cam get oiled from the side clearance on the rods, ( oil slinging off)
I would look for a greater amount of side clearance,( than .006) as it will allow additional oil to travel to these critical areas.
just my 2 cents.

Keep in mind, you can open the rod side clearance up to .100" and it's only going to flow whatever the bearing clearance has for flow area.

about a year ago I did the math on a loose .002" clearance and it seems like the side clearance would have to be less than .001" before it was a choke point.

I'm willing to bet a quick chamfer on the bearing will open the side clearance some, w/o the need to touch the rod...

K.

Molnar said .006 is the bare minimum and .010 would be better and is recommended for side clearance.
No interference with narrow bearing (clevite 1228p) and radius at this time.

Drewster on Tapatalk