RJC Gridle studs

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
Is there a certain way these should be installed? I put some oil on the threads and tighened them down with an allen wrench. There is no specs on the directions I got with the girdle, except for tightening the mains to 95#'s and the rails to 25#'s. I guess it really doesnt matter, when the mains are torqued down it will "load" the studs, right?

Just be sure to put sealant between the block and girdle, a light film with your finger, and when you put the girdle on put sealant on the threads BEFORE the nuts. Then sealant on again after the nuts are tightened. The problem I had was no oil leaks at the pan or girdle but oil seeping down the threads of the girdle studs.

Just be sure to put sealant between the block and girdle, a light film with your finger, and when you put the girdle on put sealant on the threads BEFORE the nuts. Then sealant on again after the nuts are tightened. The problem I had was no oil leaks at the pan or girdle but oil seeping down the threads of the girdle studs.

Yeah I had that problem too, there was alot of oil wicking from the threads onto the cross over pipe. It made for a great conversation when I told people it was just rebuild and was already leaking oil and smoking :rolleyes::(

I have put blue loctite on the threads that go into the block and snug them up with an allen wrench. Then used ARP lube on the girdle end.

I machined a groove on girdle on the block side. The RTV fills the groove and makes a seal. I squeeze the RTV on the girdle and lay it on the block. It even squeezes up the oil pan studs and seals them too. Got this idea for the import cars that don't run a gasket. Need had a girdle leak on me.

I used Right Stuff and the black RTV made by Mercedes (stuff is awesome and prefer it over the Right Stuff).

PB150065.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Good idea with the groove being machined in. Did you use the locktite on the pan rail studs? Thanks AGAIN Billy.

Imo

Good idea with the groove being machined in. Did you use the locktite on the pan rail studs? Thanks AGAIN Billy.

There have been more than 1 case of the pan rail studs breaking off. IMHO that is because proper machine work, correct clearance and other causes were not done right or attention to detail was soft. Having said that and not knowing your case, I would NOT loctite them in the block in case the broken part has to be removed. I use ARP lube and tighten finger tight.