RJC exhaust problem?

richburke03

Just had a 3'' RJC cross flow exhaust installed on my car about 2 weeks ago now when I go over a bump the exhaust is hitting on the rear axel. Anyone else experience a problem like this? Could it possibly be that I need new rear shocks thats causing the car to bottom out? I never had this problem with the stock exhaust not sure whats wrong.

I have the same system. We spent a large amount of time during the install and at one point I had Jason on the phone looking for pointers to help the install. Ultimately we got it to fit but I have the same problem you describe when I go over a large bump the rear axle will hit the exhaust. I wasn't able to correct mine.

Neal

Subd i was thinkin about ordering this very same exhaust in a couple weeks....How do you guys like it other than that? Sound drone etc...

Thats funny cause I just called RJC and they said they didnt have any problems like that and that installed on lots of cars with no problems. Exhaust does have more drone than I thought it would.

I spent hours hanging mine, making hangers, even had to rebend and dent a pipe. I had the muffler hung as high as it absolutely would go and it did the same thing. However, my car has a girdle on it, so I figured it was designed to be used with the original cover. Mine was hitting so hard it actually put a small dent in the muffler. It sounded good, but imo, it had some fitment issues. I have since removed mine and installed a single shot.

Personally I like the look and sound of the system. The quality of the materials is very good but fitment seems to be problematic.

Neal

My fit was very tight on the rear end but it doesnt hit there, mine hits by the PS floor board. Even though it hits, I am very happy with it. I think it sounds great and I dont get any drone.

hello; I had the RJC installed by a shop and besides a bit of whinning about the install I have no problems. I'd bet on a suspension being tired. If it was me I'd take it to a shop and give it a good once over with them and see what they say.
IBBY

So it seems a lot of people are having problems with this exhaust hitting. I have to say after all these problems I would not reccomend the system to anyone. Yeah it looks pretty but who cares if it doesn't fit and function correctly.

I see on the RJC site that they dont assemble the exhaust they sub it out to another company. This company probably did a great job in the beginning but seems to be slacking now do to all the fitment problems. I have purchased a few of RJC products and they all where top notch, which I expect from them. I been looking at this exhaust for over a year now and was 100% sure when the time came that I would purchase this exhaust, but now I am thinking of passing and going with something else. Maybe RJC should assemble the exhaust in house so they can bring the exhaust back to their high standards they once had. I am in no way bashing RJC, I am just commenting on what I know and what I have read. I hope Jason will take the matters into his own hands and fix the problems they are having with their exhaust, I really want one. But until then I will have to see what Jason says when he chimes in.

hello; RJC and vendors here are just a phone call away and in most cases I make the call when I hear about products and problems. Give em a call and post what was said.
IBBY

I've had this with other exhaust systems like Hooker and ATR. Lots of times it just takes a little adjustment.

I have the 4" single. fit great... but then..... it banged the axle so bad it broke at the muffler. had to go get some SS wire and weld it back up. I put new springs and shock all the around yesterday went to track lastnight... no more banging!

check your springs..... it was my fault, not the exhaust.

hello; I had the RJC installed by a shop and besides a bit of whinning about the install I have no problems. I'd bet on a suspension being tired. If it was me I'd take it to a shop and give it a good once over with them and see what they say.
IBBY

I know this wasn't the case on my car. I have Hotchkis upper and lower control arms and new springs too.

Neal

IBBY

I have a fresh rear suspention with a low profile girdle. It still hit.

I have this exhaust and love it.Mine fits great but I had to re weld the mounting bracket on the tail section.
I have 1" or better clearance everywhere. Make sure your band clamps are tight after you have it fitting good.
Don