Rim & Tire Size

Bri5150

:confused:I just had a set of CenterLine rims sent to the shop where my 87 GN is and need help with tire size and type. Stock GN setup as far as wheel wells.

CenterLine Billet Telstar 16x8 w/5" offset (Front)
CenterLine Billet Telstar 16x9.5 w/5.5" offset (Rear)

CenterLine said this offset should work with my car, but the shop working on my car thought it was too much. This car will be pushing 450+hp and used for street use 99% of the time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

on the rear 5.5 is for notched frames , youll need a spacer

the 5 on the front will be close to the tie rod as well might need a spacer

i've got 4.5 on a 9" rim with very slight rub marks. use a 1.5" space if you must have these on there otherwise no good unless make the call to notch....since the car is there anyway..what's another $500 ...lol ..don't forget to tell em to roll da fenda's too.

most usually can get away with is 5" BS if axle is centered , no two cars are ever the same so you might have more on one side than the other so that would be even less BS
and thats not rim BS but total BS with tire mounted measured at the bulge of the tire , youll need to pick a tire with little bulge or a section width less than 11 , and i beleive run atleast 1/2 -3/4 spacer (going to need long studs)
youll have to look at tire specs and see what the section width is on the rim they measured with and do some simple math
an 11" section width tire on a 9.5 (10.5 out side measure) there will be 1/2 bulge with your 5.5 BS thats 6 total BS , youll need almost 1" spacer

ive got 295/50 15s on back my 87 right now but im on an 8" rim and have rolled lips , ive seen the MT 295 16s ET street drag radials fit with 10" rims but again rolled lips and near perfect on the back space i think rim was 4.5"BS (it was the 16x10 GTA g body parts sells)

what type of tire did you want to run ( performance street ,drag radial or full slick .. and what height ?

, very little choice in mickey thompson tires for 16" rim
4.5 BS would have been a better choice

or do a frame notch then youll have lots o room

notch is safe , relatively inexpensive , and should be no need to run spacer or alter fenders

its not like you just cut the frame away , they weld back in plates to strengthen and rebox the frame, Brian Cotton can do it

Talked to Jack Cotton today and told him to notch the frame. He said he would take care of it and no spacers would be needed after the notch work. Should have my car back in a week or so.

Brian

Post some pics when it's done. We're going to be notching mine as well to fit a bigger tire.