Right turbo etc for my setup? New to turbo buicks

Bigfatrat

I am currently in Iraq. Just bought this car off the forum here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/352669-87-gn-59k-miles-lots-extras.html. I'm told the car has a stage 2 port job on the heads, upgraded fuel pump and hotwire kit. I am going to try to make a really fast street car but it won't be driven much. I was thinking, chip, turbo, injectors, Welds wheels and done.

I have been researching when I can over here but can't seem to find just an in your face answer. What would be a really good turbo/chip/injector setup for this car? I am wanting something really fast but not to the point i'm scared to punch it for fear of sending an intake in to orbit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to get everything now so when I get home in October I can install and enjoy.

Also any other supporting mod suggestions?:)... Thanks in advance!

I would replace the exhaust first. Pypes or Hooker. Either one would give you better flow.

First let me say, thank you for your service. It is greatly appreciated. Second, welcome to the world of Turbo Buicks and the best Turbo Buick website on the net. I must warn you though, these cars are a disease that you can never get rid of.

Depending on how fast you really want the car to be, there are alot of options to consider. Is it safe to assume the car has a stock turbo on it now? The for sale post did not mention what turbo it had.

For starters the motor has ported heads, which is a huge upgrade for a street car. Just reading what's been done, looks like you have a very good base to start with. One thing you need to find out is, what torque converter is in the car? This will really help narrow down your choices in turbo selection.

There's the tried and true TE-44 turbo, that would work ok with your injectors and setup. With the right tune and traction this could put you solidly into the high 11's with traction and either race gas, or pump with alky injection.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...s/details/Entry-Level-Turbocharger---4431E/60

60-1.jpg

On straight 93 octane, the car would be a low 12 second car. The biggest thing is with the ported heads you have, we normally we try to spec a turbo with a larger turbine wheel to help take full advantage of the increased flow capability that the heads offer.

If you're looking for more power and or quicker ET's, I would suggest you take a look at our 6262 turbo.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Stree...Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT6262-CEA/245

6262S_lowres.jpg

Whether you go journal bearing or ball bearing, the torque converter would need to be addressed if it is a stock D5 converter. Secondly, I would suggest 60# Mototron injectors with an upgraded Turbotweak chip for this combo. This turbo on this combo would definitely give you enough power to support low 11's. One other thing you need to find out is, what intercooler is on the car? If it's a stock intercooler, typically they are good for high 11's to low 12's before needing to be upgraded. However, an Alky injection kit can help push the limits of the stock intercooler. Traction will be very critical with a combo such as this.

So it really comes down to what the car has on it now?

- Torque converter, size and stall
- Intercooler, stock or aftermarket

How much modifying you want to do? And how quick / fast you want the car to be?

Hope some of this helps and welcome to the world of Turbo Buicks.

Patrick

First let me say, thank you for your service. It is greatly appreciated. Second, welcome to the world of Turbo Buicks and the best Turbo Buick website on the net. I must warn you though, these cars are a disease that you can never get rid of.

Depending on how fast you really want the car to be, there are alot of options to consider. Is it safe to assume the car has a stock turbo on it now? The for sale post did not mention what turbo it had.

For starters the motor has ported heads, which is a huge upgrade for a street car. Just reading what's been done, looks like you have a very good base to start with. One thing you need to find out is, what torque converter is in the car? This will really help narrow down your choices in turbo selection.

There's the tried and true TE-44 turbo, that would work ok with your injectors and setup. With the right tune and traction this could put you solidly into the high 11's with traction and either race gas, or pump with alky injection.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...s/details/Entry-Level-Turbocharger---4431E/60

60-1.jpg

On straight 93 octane, the car would be a low 12 second car. The biggest thing is with the ported heads you have, we normally we try to spec a turbo with a larger turbine wheel to help take full advantage of the increased flow capability that the heads offer.

If you're looking for more power and or quicker ET's, I would suggest you take a look at our 6262 turbo.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Stree...Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT6262-CEA/245

6262S_lowres.jpg

Whether you go journal bearing or ball bearing, the torque converter would need to be addressed if it is a stock D5 converter. Secondly, I would suggest 60# Mototron injectors with an upgraded Turbotweak chip for this combo. This turbo on this combo would definitely give you enough power to support low 11's. One other thing you need to find out is, what intercooler is on the car? If it's a stock intercooler, typically they are good for high 11's to low 12's before needing to be upgraded. However, an Alky injection kit can help push the limits of the stock intercooler. Traction will be very critical with a combo such as this.

So it really comes down to what the car has on it now?

- Torque converter, size and stall
- Intercooler, stock or aftermarket

How much modifying you want to do? And how quick / fast you want the car to be?

Hope some of this helps and welcome to the world of Turbo Buicks.

Patrick
Thanks a lot for the help. That is exactly the type answer I was hoping for. I think the PT6262 is probably the route I would want to go. Low 11's ish would be about perfect I think in regards to being not too much yet enough to not worry about some nitrous car trying to jump on me at a red light.
The car to my knowledge has a stock converter and intercooler. I won't actually be in the gas TOO much :biggrin: but I want it to be there when I call for it. The trans has a shift kit but that's about it.
I understand what you mean about these cars being a disease. I bought an 02 Lightning a couple months ago and was building it up. Since I found this Buick I haven't even thought about the Lightning. I see a lot of money spent in my future lol... The car has a 3" down pipe but what about waste gate etc? I've owned supercharged rides before but this is my first turbo car. Thanks again for all the help..:)

Depending on the fuel you are going to run, would really help narrow down which wastegate actuator you would need. If you plan on running 93 pump gas mainly, but occasionally run race gas with higher boost and timing, then I would spec a standard spring wastegate actuator for the turbo. If however you're always going to run 100 octane unleaded or pump gas with alky injection, then I'd spec a heavy duty wastegate actuator. Typical rule of thumb, depending on the octane of fuel is this, quality 93 octane pump gas you can get away with 16-18psi of boost with 19-20* timing under WOT. 100-103 unleaded gas or pump gas with alky injection, you can get away with 21-24psi and 21-23* timing under WOT. VP C16 race fuel the timing can be pushed up to 26* timing under WOT and boost way up there to the point of lifting the head or blowing a head gasket if the fuel system is right.

Here is a quick list of items I would look at for this car, if you are wanting a killer low 11 second setup.

- Scanmaster scantool (mount on the dash for instantaneous tuning info)
- Powerlogger datalogger (for full datalogging capabilities with your laptop)
- 6262BB turbo with .63 housing and HD actuator
- Upgrade the intercooler (either stock location or front mount)
- Walbro 255lph high pressure pump with Hot wire kit
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator with external fp gauge mounted under hood.
- PTC 10" 2800 lock up converter, spec'd by Dusty Bradford
- 60# Mototron injectors
- Upgraded Turbo Tweak chip for injectors and turbo
- Big Mouth cold air kit with 4" MAF pipe
- Alky injection kit from Alky Control
- Upgrade cat back exhaust system if stock. (Cottons or Pypes)
- 70mm Accufab throttle body with Precision upper plenum
- 15x8 Welds with 3.5" bs for the rear and MT Drag Radials 275/50/15 or 275/60/15

With what you already have, this would be a very fast street car with the boost on 22-25psi and timing in the 21-23* range with 100+ octane gas or pump gas with alky injection.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick