Right rear taillight help!!

jparr30

Hi guys im new here . jus bought a 1987 GN and the back right rear tailight isnt working right . i have park lights but not brake or turn lights . I have read several post but there solution didn't work for me . so can this be a ground issue ? the turn signal doesn't flash fast like a bulbs burnt out . and the correct bulbs are installed .

Use pencil lead on the metal contacts inside the bulb socket. Also use a little dialectric grease in there as well. It is cheap and you will need more eventually. It sounds like a socket issue. Ensure the sockets twist tightly and firmly into the housing.

there is dialeletric grease in there , (yellow) but ill try the pencil , I was kinda thrown off since the park lights worked but not the others . So im awsuming there is power since the park lamps work . I checked the bulbs also there the 1157

Make sure they are "keyed" properly. These sockets are 29 years old. They are likely a little sloppy by now.

Mine had similar symptoms. I tapped into the ground wire and added another ground wire into the trunk to fix the problem.

The brake light signal goes through the turn signal cam on cars that don't have a dedicated turn signal (amber) bulb, like the Regals do not. The car has to have a way to interrupt the brake signal, to make it blink. So, you need to check the plugs under the dash, but above the steering column, to make sure they are plugged in and solid, no overheated pins, etc. There will also be a plug in the trunk are, not sure about the exact location, probably drivers side wheel well area. My problem ended up being the turn signal cam it's self. Check the easy stuff first, for sure...need to find a diagram of the turn signal cam and circuit and trace it to see if the signal is making it through the cam and going towards the rear of the car, if not you will need a turn signal cam. As stated above, double check the grounds at the rear of the car, at the light. Keep us posted....

Thanks guys car is at my buddys house since he has a 5 car garage he thinks its a ground problem also but were going to try to trace it down this weekend

Get an electrical 12v test light from your local autoparts store. They aren't expensive, easy to use, makes it very quick to test power and grounds.
Do yourself a favor and don't get a $3.00 POS that only sometimes works. Its one of my most used tools around the shop, makes checking fuses and wires a breeze.

Use the clip end and attach it to a good ground near where you are testing, the pointy end is for probing connectors and wires.
Test for power somewhere else you know there is verified power, to ensure that the light is working and you have it attached to a good ground.
If your test probe on verified power does not light the test light tool up, try using a different ground and repeat test probe until you get it to power the test bulb.
If the bulb lights up on your test source, go ahead and test for power at your suspect sockets/wire with the bulb out and see if you get the test light to illuminate.
If you indeed have power going to the contacts inside of the light socket but putting a bulb in does not illuminate its almost certainly a connection or ground issue.

You can also use a 12v test light to check for ground. Hook the alligator clip end to a known power source and then probe the outside of the socket and the ground wires.
If the test light goes on with the clip end on a positive source, that indicates the probed spot is grounded. If it doesn't light up, you're not completing a circuit to the ground side.

Attachments

• TEST LIGHT.jpg
    TEST LIGHT.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 44
Ever see this : Night time, the car ahead of you has what seems to be normal tail lights. they apply the brakes and the tail lights goes out and one random brake light turns on. Classic bad ground situation. There is only enough connection to ground to run one brake light or 2 of the less powerful tail lights.

Make sure they are "keyed" properly. These sockets are 29 years old. They are likely a little sloppy by now.
good Idea, It's possible to put the bulb in off by 180*. If that happened the "tail light would be the bright one and the brake would be the dimmer one and not be very noticeable. I think I worked on a car where this happened but it was a long time ago.

update on my rear lights , my buddy went out and started my car and checked the lights , he said there now working and he didn't do anything to them .... so im thinking bad ground .. but there working for now .. LOL