Right oil to my axel? (picture).

HEATSEEKER

Member!
Hello!

I am just woundering if i can use this oil to my rear axel?
Just click on the picture to see it bigger.

Thanks! Jakob

No, you don't but GM reccomends it to prevent posi chatter. You could always add it later I guess. Why not do it when you add the diff oil?

I used the Trans-X limited slip additive in mine. It was in Advance auto,in a tube.

My clutches were chattering like crazy when I first bought my GN this summer. After a lube change to Castrol 80-90 and a tube of that additive,the chattering is completely gone.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.

Don't know about Castrol synthetic but Iv'e ran Red-Line synthetic rear end lube in my GN for 18yrs. Only been changed 4 times in that time and have LOTS of street miles and MANY 1/4 mile passes and still works flawlessly and Never ANY !! noise of any kind. Oh! and NO other additives period.
PS. I did put new posi clutches in it about 6 years ago.

No, you don't but GM reccomends it to prevent posi chatter. You could always add it later I guess. Why not do it when you add the diff oil?

Aha okej, i was woundering because i don´t know where to find the right GM stuff here i Sweden :rolleyes:
I hade this oil i my supra whit no problem but that maybe are a different axel?

I used the Trans-X limited slip additive in mine. It was in Advance auto,in a tube.

My clutches were chattering like crazy when I first bought my GN this summer. After a lube change to Castrol 80-90 and a tube of that additive,the chattering is completely gone.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.

Thanks Steve!

How mutch do i need? And how mutch oil do the rear axel fill?

Don't know about Castrol synthetic but Iv'e ran Red-Line synthetic rear end lube in my GN for 18yrs. Only been changed 4 times in that time and have LOTS of street miles and MANY 1/4 mile passes and still works flawlessly and Never ANY !! noise of any kind. Oh! and NO other additives period.
PS. I did put new posi clutches in it about 6 years ago.

Do you have any picture on that oil(tube)? Where find that oil?

Thanks Steve!

How mutch do i need? And how mutch oil do the rear axel fill?

2 quarts. Not sure how many litres that is. That includes the additive. So you will have an equivalent amount of oil left over.

I just put half of the first quart in,then put the additive in that bottle,shake...then dump the rest of that qt in.

Is that your Buick Racing video on YouTube? Nice job. Seen it many times. I believe it's up to almost 300,000 hits.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.

Hello!

I am just woundering if i can use this oil to my rear axel?
Just click on the picture to see it bigger.

Thanks! Jakob

i don't see any viscosity ratings on that bottle, and at the bottom it says that it's transmission fluid.
ok, google tells me that it's a 75W-140 gear oil- i think, every website with that part number was in some foreign language- so it should be good.

No, you don't but GM reccomends it to prevent posi chatter....

Over 20 years ago the GM dealers and techs did not recommend posi additive for the GN. It is a friction modifier and allows the clutches to slip. :confused:

If it chatters, then the clutches/springs are worn, or some other problem.

For street car use, if chatter is annoying, add it. In cars used at the track, it lessens efficiency and life of the unit.

2 quarts. Not sure how many litres that is. That includes the additive. So you will have an equivalent amount of oil left over.

I just put half of the first quart in,then put the additive in that bottle,shake...then dump the rest of that qt in.

Is that your Buick Racing video on YouTube? Nice job. Seen it many times. I believe it's up to almost 300,000 hits.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.

Okej, thanks for the info :)

Yes it is, glad you like the movie :biggrin:

Over 20 years ago the GM dealers and techs did not recommend posi additive for the GN. It is a friction modifier and allows the clutches to slip. :confused:

For street car use, if chatter is annoying, add it. In cars used at the track, it lessens efficiency and life of the unit.

Hmm... so do i need the additive or not :confused:

Here is "some" info, just scroll down: Engine Oil and Lubricants Castrol UK - CASTROL CLASSIC GEAR OILS

Heatseeker,
No that's to heavy, I run the 75W90 GL-5 and like I posted have for MANY, MANY miles and in all kinds of temps. 30 degrees to 95 degrees. Car runs mid tens and has LOTS of 1/4 mile passes also. NEVER !! had ANY rear end problems, ZERO- NONE. Buy 2 qts. of the 75W90, put it in and don't look back. Personally I'm sold on it.

Heatseeker,
No that's to heavy, I run the 75W90 GL-5 and like I posted have for MANY, MANY miles and in all kinds of temps. 30 degrees to 95 degrees. Car runs mid tens and has LOTS of 1/4 mile passes also. NEVER !! had ANY rear end problems, ZERO- NONE. Buy 2 qts. of the 75W90, put it in and don't look back. Personally I'm sold on it.

Ok, then it will be that, thanks :)

Quote....Over 20 years ago the GM dealers and techs did not recommend posi additive for the GN. It is a friction modifier and allows the clutches to slip.

So Nick Micale which rear end fluid do you use?