Restoring inner fender wells

87gninpa

Now that I dont daily drive the car anymore (or drive in rain), I want to get it as clean as possible. The last part at this point would be the inner fender wells, they're pretty nasty.

For anyone who has dealt with this before, what did you do? Just clean them really well? Or did you have to repaint them? Is it possible to paint them on the car, I'd really rather not take them off, looks like a PITA.

Any input is appreciated.

Are you talking about the plastic inner fender wells or the metal inner fender wells around the top? Either way it’s going to take you a good weekend to do. Just unbolt all the extra stuff tanks cruz take out the battery remove everything you can that is bolted to them. If you just want to clean the plastic that’s all you need to do. Now get some dish soap and a green scratch pad and start scrubbing. Once you get the oil dirt and everything else off and the white chalky stuff that seems to form on the plastic you can then get some vinyl cleaner and protection like ArmorAll and they will look like new. If you’re talking about the metal strip around the top of the inner fenders well then you need to go one step further. Unbolt them across the top unbolt the plastic inner fenders pull the inner fender out of the way as much as you can tape them off and then paint.

I saw a post where someone used SEM trim paint on the plastic, looked great.

Thank guys, Im thinking about just cleaning them and protecting them with some sort of water-based dressing. I am going to remove the wheel well trim and refinish that anyway, so that will be out of the way.

take the wheel off, jack it up...I use Griots Garage Rubber Cleaner and their wheelwell brush....its stiff enough to get the stuff off, but soft enough not to scratch or damage anything...i follow it up with Undercarriage spray....i don't just do this on the GN, I also do it for my F150, as those wheelwells look like crap when they aren't clean

yup...I use satin black krylon in the fenderwells or SEM trim black. I did what the first guy posted...bunch of simple-green and scrubbing, then dish soap and more scrubbing, then pissed off and a wire wheel...then some sanding to fix that smooth again (LOL)...then some paint. Looks like new.

yup...I use satin black krylon in the fenderwells or SEM trim black. I did what the first guy posted...bunch of simple-green and scrubbing, then dish soap and more scrubbing, then pissed off and a wire wheel...then some sanding to fix that smooth again (LOL)...then some paint. Looks like new.

Good one John.:tongue: That's the way my GN makes me most of the time.:rolleyes: Probably why I can't get it finished.:eek:
John