Replacing valve cover gaskets.. Possibly also spark plugs

Clarkjg33

Replacing valve cover gaskets on the Gn.. Thoughts on what brand, what's best? Torque specs? Any other thoughts or suggestions on what I should do at the same time? Was also thinking about replacing plugs during the same time. Brand? Gap?

Cork gaskets for sure. Also non projected tip plugs. I use Autolite Race plugs with the cut back strap. You will hear many opinions on plugs. UR-5 I used for years. They aren't non projected tip. Changed after getting advice from good sources.

The Felpro gaskets have worked just fine for me. You have to cut the little rubber tabs off with a razor blade. Make sure both gasket surfaces (heads and valve covers) are CLEAN and free of old gasket residue. Also helps to NOT over-tighten the bolts when you put them back on. GNttype.org specs 44 inch lbs for the valve covers.

For spark plugs it really depends on the performance level of the car. I would say your average car is fine with AC Delco CR43TS.

I use the Autolite plugs as well and the rubber Felpro valve cover gaskets. I did the same thing, trimmed the rubber tabs a little. Have you ever changed the valve springs? I just changed mine and picked up 3 mph in the quarter mile.

.035 on the plug gap or .032 if detonation is a problem. I use Autolite 24's. 25's are good for a stock or slighty modified engine.

cometic valve cover gaskets here, and autolite ar133's (high boost and alky) .035 gap with the tr-6 ignition.

Thanks guys, this is great information. Would the Felpro gaskets be like the ones listed on RJC's website? Also.. I am on stock valve springs currently. Would you guys recommend the 100lb springs from Kirbans? What about the Rocker shaft braces to go alongside as well when doing this?

Comp is the better spring and the most popular. You should be fine w/o the rocker braces unless you plan on making serious hp (400+) or racing in the future. Highway Stars has both types of Fel Pro gaskets for the valve covers.

Thanks guys, this is great information. Would the Felpro gaskets be like the ones listed on RJC's website? Also.. I am on stock valve springs currently. Would you guys recommend the 100lb springs from Kirbans? What about the Rocker shaft braces to go alongside as well when doing this?

Yes I just put a set on from him last week. I believe they can also be ordered from you local Advance Auto, etc.

Get the felpro metal shim gaskets that use a silicone bead on them. Trim the corners where they overlap factory covers. Best out there. You can lay the shim on the head for easy install and can re-use them many times over!

i went with the comp 980 spring " which are just a hare under 100lb " & the black harder rubber fel pro cover gakets & did the tab trimming

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The good thing about the rubber gasket is, if you want or need to pull off the valve cover the gasket can be reused. I just pulled off my drivers side valve cover to check out my push rods and the gasket was fine.

The fel pro's i use are part# VS50156R, i know u've orderd already but just for the future incase what u got is diffrent & ur not happy wit em!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app