Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets...and what else??

booyah11

Car is a 1985 T-Type.

Got a leak on the passenger side so need to replace them. While I'm in there is there anything else I should do??

Car is new to me, PO didn't drive it much and wasn't very knowledgeable of even basic maintenance. I gather the car was gone through about 5 years ago, so in general it needs some love.

Few things I'm planning on doing, part numbers from Kirban:
  • Valve Cover (Gasket: Victor Renz 7606)
  • PCV (valve: 7276, grommet: 7214)
  • Breather (Seal: 1567, Kit: 7097) ** Kit says it is for 86-87?? Will it be okay for 85?? **
Anything else I should consider updating while I'm in there?? The Kirban Site recommended a couple of things:
  • Upgraded Valve Springs: 6746
  • Rocker Braces: 7478
In reading some of the installation notes I couldn't find the specs on the Valve Cover Bolts. As I know my luck I will likely ruin one or more of them so having some fresh ones on hand would be good. If you know the bolt specs that would be awesome. Even better would a site that listed all the bolt specs. :)

Also in the installation notes I didn't see mention of having to remove any hoses or lines. Again, as the car needs some love, any lines or hoses that are removed I would like to replace with new. Thanks folks.

Did plugs and wires today...that turbo piping is in the exact wrong place and has got to go.

I'm definitely taking them off for the Valve Cover work, any recommendations on piping?? Not having a lot of luck finding stuff for Hot Air.

Also, headers are cracked which I gather is pretty typical. Is this a job that would be easier while the Valve Covers are off or it really doesn't matter?? Thanks folks.

-Tyler

So for the next sucker that wants to do this work, here are a couple of things I ran into so far.
  1. PB Blaster vs. 30 y/o exhaust piping = fail. The GM stuff worked much better.
  2. Up pipe comes off easily once soaked in rust buster
  3. Down pipe will not come out unless you remove the cross pipe and headers
  4. There is enough room to pull the passenger valve cover out with just the DP disconnected and moved to the side
  5. Clear all the crap out of the way on both sides before removing either cover
  6. Clean all the oil build up and filth around the covers before removing them
Not an easy car to work on but I'm sure half of that is just age and neglect.