Replacing Upper A-Arm Bushings

timothydog

Hey guys,
My car has been sitting lower in the front passenger side lately and I also get a pull and a clunk sometimes while braking/steering. Upon inspection, I found the upper a-arm bushings to be toast. No rubber left at all on the back one and the front one is torn up. Seems pretty typical from what I've read on here.

So I bought 2 replacement rubber ones but I need a little insight on how to go about changing them. From what I've read, it seems they can be replaced without having to compress the spring and disconnect the shock. But I need a little more detail on what I have to do exactly. Can this be done all in the engine compartment? It seems pretty tight with the downpipe in the way.. and how do I get the old ones out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tim

I just replaced my entire front end with all new parts, including the bushings. I can not see how to change those bushing while the A arm is on the car. :confused: If you kept the weight of the car on the lower A arm by setting it on a jack I could see where you could keep the spring on but IMO the upper arm has to come off to replace the bushings. And again IMHO if you are going to replace the upper A arm bushings chances are the other bushings and some of the suspension parts are worn too so why not replace all of it while it's apart.

Hope this helps.

jack up car by placing jack under lower control arm
(as close to the tire as you can get ).
remove the tire .
remove the upper ball joint cotter pin and nut.
remove the contol arm nuts (note where the shims go since they.
will be close if the last time it was alaigned the bushings were in good shape) .

remove the control arm assembly and then replace the bushings.

They have to be pressed in. Get the polys and be done, drastic difference in handling and response. Tip[- Use ALL the grease that comes with the poly's upon install.

Turboman38, did you get the rebuild kit from Summit? I saw it in there for about $160-170. I want to replace my whole front end's bushings but don't have the time or the tools to do it myself. How much would a job like that run anyways?

Hi Tim,

got your message the other day, but failed to write down your number again before the message got erased!

I imagine you were gonna ask your questions above but I have never done any front suspension work, so your guess is as good as mine! Sorry, Dude!

Glad to see you're still around J.J. Now if we can only get you to start doing those t.b. mods again.:D