Replacing stock turbo

nwb300

This will be my first time replacing a turbo. I currently have a stock one (blowing oil) and I got another low mileage stock one for now. I have a stock downpipe also. My question is what do you guys recommend replacing when I do the job (oil lines/gaskets/ect....) and is there anything I should look out for when doing this. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely replace the oil feed line. A copper turbo to header gasket is a good idea too. I have a shadetree mechanic how-to here.

Thanks 1quick6!!!! That link will come in handy. I'll get that gasket ordered too. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Use alot of penetrating oil on the turbo studs and also on the exhaust elbow bolts, assuming you'll be transferring it over to the new turbo. Should be a 15mm IIRC if its still original hardware.

Also have a gasket scraper on hand to remove the old turbo drain gasket. A razor blade will work too. Mine was a colossal PITA to get apart when I took my stock turbo off. I used some black RTV to hold the gasket in place to the drain tube during reassembly. Could also use studs instead of the stock bolts, as I hear this makes lining it up much easier. If you use the bolts, get the both started before you tighten the turbo down.

I have a copper gasket on my turbo flange, but you may not need one. Just make sure the flange is flat. I think I smeared some Ultra Copper on there once before and it worked well. And I agree, replace the feed line while you're in there.