Replacing fuel injectors

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Fellas, I could use your opinions here about the fuel injectors I just bought for my '87 Grand National. The injectors in the car now are original, and have never been cleaned or replaced. Before start-up, I want to replace the old injectors and put in the just bought injectors now that I have some of the top engine parts apart.

These injectors are Lucas, 2-hole, green band, #5207009, which should be the 31.11#/hr, @43.5 psi/3 bar ones. They have been cleaned, flow tested, the chart shows they flow less than 1% variance. They have new rings, filters on them. They are high impedance.

My '87 GN has a gutted cat, Kenne Bell Ram air system, (the under the bumper one with turbo ram and intercooler ram) Flowmaster exhaust, solid MAF tube, stock chip as far as engine mods, that's it. Do you all think that these will work out alright just by replacing them for the old injectors? I want to save the old ones for sending out someday to be flowed and cleaned.

I got a very good price on these Lucas injectors with a 3 year warranty also. I have the pictures of the flowing machine when they were on it, and the chart that shows the variance. Since I already bought them, that's why I want to use them, just basically a replacement injector set until I get the "fast with class" bug and start modifying someday.:rolleyes: But not anytime soon.

What do you pros think here? Will these injectors be ok for just replacements? Would I have any trouble on start-up with them? No recalibration required?

I'd appreciate your opinions on this. And thanks. :wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

These injectors flow so closely to the stock ones that you don't need to even need to do a chip change. Go ahead and change them out. I don't see any point to keeping the factory ones that are 20+ years old.
Since you're not running a RJC Powerplate, make sure to put the two highest flowing injectors closest the firewall (cylinders 5 & 6 ).

If they're the rotary ones (versus pintle) they served me well years ago, until I started upgrading.

As a side note, the consesus is that those KB cold air kits actually make the car slower since they restrict air flow.

Agree with the above. On my first TR, I popped those injectors in and used them with a chip designed for stockers with no problem. They were really great entry level injectors. Just be really careful when reinstalling everything. When I was a novice, I cross threaded the feed line into the fp regulator and had to order a new fuel line. :)

green stripe 009 injectors are 42.5# injectors. and they will work fine with even a stock combo, just make sure your chip is changed for them.

Thank you for your suggestions. But I'm now confused about the posts concerning I don't have to get a chip change and the other one that I do. Can you help me out some more here about this chip change I may or may not have to do? Which one? I know definately down the road I will get a turbotweek from Eric to match the further changes I will be making, but for now it will stay in the stock configuration. Just the injector changing is all I'd like to do for now. From experience modifying fast cars, I do changes one at a time, not all at once, and write down each change against the baseline, that way I can keep track and see any positive performance with each little modification I do. If one does not work correctly, then I know THAT modification is the problem rather than wondering what is causing the problem if I had made 10 changes or so all at once. Does my theory here make sense? Do I need a chip change for this type injector or not? What's your take on this?

I am very aware of the KenneBell ram air restriction problem. Thank you for pointing that out, though, because others may not be aware. I have the solution to overcome this problem and will take the proper steps to rectify it. I learned of this solution, of course, from another smart board member here. Goes to say, you guys are always thinking, which I greatly admire in a person in the technical world. Love this board.:biggrin: Well, chip change or not?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thank you DonZ. If I get this chip from Eric strictly for these few upgrades, will I have to go with another chip in the future when I add the adjustable fuel pressure gage, hot-wire fuel pump set, and a Walbro? These are about the only changes I'm going to make, other than installing my BOP Idle Air Motor angle boss, scanmaster. I'm not going to be racing at the strip at all, just for driving and occasionally blowing away some buzz boxes at a light or so. Or to uplift my spirits at times with a WOT blast in the cool air. I've made the other changes as I noted: ram air, rear braces, gutted cat, front underhood braces, gages, aluminum radiator, new powermaster, new proportion valve, new front end, new shocks, new springs front and rear, air shocks, solid MAF tube, emblems, interior redone, but as you can see, few performance upgrades. I will be going with this board members suggestion on the fuel system upgrade. I'm not a racer anymore, just a badass in the middle of the night if the cops are not around. It does look like, per your suggestion of getting the chip, that I might have to get another for the fuel system upgrade. Right? Again, thank you for your help. Much appreciated and I will follow it. So, two chips? Now and later? Hmmm. Going to be kind of expensive. But owning a Grand Naitonal is kind of expensive and worth it. But I've been working on it for 6 years now. (sigh):frown: Still not finished. I do go out in the garage every damn night and sit in it, and give it a goodnight pat on the tailights. (Don't tell this to my wife, she'll think I'm having an affair:eek:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thank you DonZ. If I get this chip from Eric strictly for these few upgrades, will I have to go with another chip in the future when I add the adjustable fuel pressure gage, hot-wire fuel pump set, and a Walbro? These are about the only changes I'm going to make, other than installing my BOP Idle Air Motor angle boss, scanmaster. I'm not going to be racing at the strip at all, just for driving and occasionally blowing away some buzz boxes at a light or so. Or to uplift my spirits at times with a WOT blast in the cool air. I've made the other changes as I noted: ram air, rear braces, gutted cat, front underhood braces, front frame braces, gages, brakes, drums, rotors, brake lines, aluminum radiator, new powermaster, new proportion valve, new front end parts, new shocks, new springs front and rear, air shocks, solid MAF tube, emblems, interior redone, but as you can see, few performance upgrades. I will be going with this board members suggestion on the fuel system upgrade. I'm not a racer anymore, just a badass in the middle of the night if the cops are not around. It does look like, per your suggestion of getting the chip, that I might have to get another for the fuel system upgrade. Right? Again, thank you for your help. Much appreciated and I will follow it. So, two chips? Now and later? Hmmm. Going to be kind of expensive. But owning a Grand Naitonal is kind of expensive and worth it. But I've been working on it for 6 years now. (sigh):frown: Still not finished. I do go out in the garage every damn night and sit in it, and give it a goodnight pat on the tailights. (Don't tell this to my wife, she'll think I'm having an affair:eek:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

If I get this chip from Eric strictly for these few upgrades, will I have to go with another chip in the future when I add the adjustable fuel pressure gage, hot-wire fuel pump set, and a Walbro?

NO........

I WOULD GET adjustable fuel pressure gage, FIRST..

JUST TELL ERIC, YOUR GOALS, HE WILL SET YOU UP.........

Thank you, DonZ. I'll go by your recommendation. I sure appreciate your input on this. Your name...DonZ...reminds me of a high power boat I used to pilot out here on the Chesapeake Bay. Real fast...REAL fast...had the time of my life with it, then I had to move way, way inland.:rolleyes: Again, thank you for taking the time to solve this situation for me. Great guy you are.

Bruce '87 Grand National