Replacing Driver Inside Door Handle

84GNwith87eng

Well i'm at a friends shop getting my adj WG actuator put on, and i get inside, then go back out for a sec, open the door (from the inside), and the handle breaks clean in half! Its friggin metal! How did that happen?

Well, he's gotta parts car with a handle on it, but it looks like the only way I can get it off is to drill out the rivets. Is there anyone to replace the handle w/o taking the whole thing apart? (no drilling required? lol)h

Its friggin metal! How did that happen?

Can't really help, but that's funny ! Reminds me of the movie "Shallow Hal". Big Gweneth is out to lunch with Hal, and her chair collapses. Hal yells at the waiter "What is this chair made of?!!!". And the waiter pauses and says "Steel". :biggrin:

Unfortunately, you have to drill the rivets out. I've used bolts to put them in, just make sure they don't interfere with the window and what-not.HTH, James

Ahhhhh, memory lane. Happened to me this past Father's Day. There's nothing to it, buddy. Take off the interior door panel, drill out the rivets, put the new one in. It uses BIG rivets, but nothing that you can't get at Napa....they also will rent you the big-a$$ rivet gun for, like, $3. They also carry the door handle itself. It's really a blessing in disguise, 'cause this leaves you with no excuse why not to get new panel retainers.....which most of these old cars need.

Attachments

• doorhandle.jpg
    doorhandle.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 106
Geez, that picture looks just like me yesterday, holding the damn thing in awe. Excellent, I'll just drill them out and pick up a new handle @ Napa...do they sell just the handle, or the whole piece I'm drilling out? I know there is a spring and a couple pins, so I just wanna check

84GNwith87eng said:
Geez, that picture looks just like me yesterday, holding the damn thing in awe. Excellent, I'll just drill them out and pick up a new handle @ Napa...do they sell just the handle, or the whole piece I'm drilling out? I know there is a spring and a couple pins, so I just wanna check
If I remember correctly, it's the whole assembly- including the mounting bracket and all. Don't sweat it- the bit that you use to drill out the old rivets should be only a HAIR larger than the rivet holes being cleared out, other than that it's monkey work, holmes. I found the handle without even approaching the counter....it's on that spinning "HELP"-style section.

And I know what you're talking about when you say you were in awe....I had my sister in town and my car was in a local car show....I was being all proud on my car and bragging it up to my sister and then, when we go to get out, I find myself holding the handle and thinking, "Now how in the f*ck did that happen?!"