removing valve covers and annoying neighbors

87lc2/wo2

There seems to be a lot involved just to remove valve covers on these engines. The driver's side rocker cover has a harness, the alternate and brackets which make it difficult to remove just to change v/c gaskets. I heard it was worse to change gaskets on the passenger side. I guess I'm just not as patient as I used to be,
and living at a town home without a garage makes it tougher for me to concentrate when other tenants keep looking at me wrenching from time to time. Why do people stare and then rev there engines to drive and leave like I inconvienced them?

hello; VC take a little time to remove,clean and install but think it as a release. I'm in the same boat with patience but what can you do?
With people messing with you. They see what you have and are just playing with you a bit. But I had a neighbor who had a hot rod mustang. I was really a race car but every weekend he'd play with it like he was preparing for the nationals. One of my neighbors would rev his car everytime he'd drive buy. It got to be funny after a while. Anyway who cares what people think.
Probably not to many TB where you live anyway.
IBBY

You should get in touch with my son (I BOOST) he is pretty patient when it comes to things like that. He wrenches on his Cobalt SS turbo all the time and he's stationed there. He's been looking to talk with some turbo buick guy's since he got there and would love to help out on a turbo buick.

After you pull a few motors / trans, VC seem like a breeze ;)

Unless there is something in your housing contract against wrenching and your not being rude to you neighbors... F em :eek:

There seems to be a lot involved just to remove valve covers on these engines. The driver's side rocker cover has a harness, the alternate and brackets which make it difficult to remove just to change v/c gaskets. I heard it was worse to change gaskets on the passenger side. I guess I'm just not as patient as I used to be,
and living at a town home without a garage makes it tougher for me to concentrate when other tenants keep looking at me wrenching from time to time. Why do people stare and then rev there engines to drive and leave like I inconvienced them?

The best thing to do about the neighbors is to smile & wave. After all, they are neighbors and it is always best to stay on the good side. Who knows what they are thinking, it is your life and your car after all. If you want to work on it in the drive, so be it.

The other side of this is that they don't understand the need to work on a vehicle. They buy a new vehicle every 3 - 4 years and other then mechanical/emissions/tires or brakes, it doesn't need any work.

So they don't understand the need for some one to work on their car. Just get a new one, whats the problem.

{whatever, or how bad, or frustrating, it gets to be, just don't break down into screaming & cursing. I've seen/heard this too often with folks trying to work on cars. Not a way to go. Note that this is general advice, not that I think this is happening. But I've seen it enough to know that it happens and is a bad thing to do.}

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks to all for the support and advice. The weather here on oahu has been ugly with thunder and lightning so I'll continue tomorrow with better weather. I'm replacing the alternator as well so it should be easier to change the driver's side. I'll get this done one step at a time and keep everyone posted.

Here is the easiest way for you:
Fly me in from the Midwest here, let me stay a few nights or a week there in Hawaii.
I will then change your valve cover gasket for you. Hell, I'll even do the passenger side:)

The passenger side cover can be a real b****h to get off. The third time I needed to get that one off, it came off relatively easy. Took me a bit to figure out that position of the rear rocker arm on the passenger side was the difference between being a b***h and purrty easy. If it doesn't want to come out bump the starter briefly and try again.

Mel

Here is the easiest way for you:
Fly me in from the Midwest here, let me stay a few nights or a week there in Hawaii.
I will then change your valve cover gasket for you. Hell, I'll even do the passenger side:)

That seems like a more than fair offer when you throw in the passenger side too