removing rocker and door chrome trim?

nicky6

Dad: Leave the car alone!
I'm repainting a regal,and i need to remove the chrome trim on the rocker and door, how does the the chrome trim come off ,without breaking any clips. Now if and when i break these clips, who sells them? And what is the trim made out of ? Stainless? can it be painted?

As far as the door molding goes you need to remove the screws(or nuts) at either end of the molding. Than just press upwards(gentley) on the moldings about an 1/8" untill it clears the lip of the plastic clips and pull the molding out towards you. The clip is kind of spring loaded. The rocker molding is held on by Phillips head trim screws. Use a #2 bit and they should come out without striping the heads. The moldings are polished stainless steel. Paint should stick if you rough them up with a 3M pad and put a coat of sealer on them. But I dont think I'd paint them. Even the cherry looking moldings have some dents and wrinkles in them. Painting makes those really stand out. I'd either polish them or leave them off. If you eliminate them than you have to grind the rivets off and paint the bottom half of the car anyway.

thanks for the info, you cant win with these trim pieces. removing them is work but the car isnt in primer yet so its do-able. was thinking about blacking them out, or painting them body color