removing & installing turbo

luisturbog

UNDERDOG HOT AIR !!!!!!!
I want to see how you guys remove & install turbo on hot air setup. I've done it before and always fight to pull it out and put it in. Maybe someone has a trick they would like to share; and make my upgrade easy.

I want to see how you guys remove & install turbo on hot air setup. I've done it before and always fight to pull it out and put it in. Maybe someone has a trick they would like to share; and make my upgrade easy.

Lots of beer before, during, and after installation! :eek:
Seriously, the more you do it, the better you'll get.
The first time it took me about 4 hours to get the turbo back in.
No other tricks. Just elbow grease and a few choice words.

Lots of beer before, during, and after installation! :eek:
Just elbow grease and a few choice words.

Yep.

Squirt some penetrating oil where the turbo adapter goes into the intake manifold to help loosen up the o ring well before hand. Make sure the oil return line can slide out of the grommet easily. Twist back and forth while pulling up, mine came out without a problem. Be careful not to damage the oil return line. A small plastic/rubber hammer maybe necessary to remove the adapter from the turbo and to get everything back together. Lube the new
o rings with liquid soap.

when i took mine apart- my first time ever working on a turbocharged Buick- it took me about 1/2 hour to get the turbo out- and that was after spending about 20 minutes figuring out where all the mounting bolts were.
when i put it back together, it just kind of fell into place, and has been there since that Sunday in May of 2004..

I saw a thread on here some time ago where someone had cut a window in the turbo support. I did it on mine and it makes installation a lot easier:cool:

Here's a pic!

Attachments

• Turbo support mod.jpg
    Turbo support mod.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 102