removing door panels on 87 GN

tom h

I'm thinking to remove the interior door panels on my 87 (re-lube window mechanism, rustproof door skins, etc), and I've never attempted this before.

Other than the instructions in the Fisher Body service manual, are there any tips on how to best remove & reinstall the door panels??

What kind of tools does one need to do this job right?

Are any clips or fasteners likely to break during this procedure?

I've got some miscellaneous body-trim tools laying about (see pic), but don't even remember how to use them, or whether they're even correct!

Attachments

• body tools lowres.jpg
    body tools lowres.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 250
I'm thinking to remove the interior door panels on my 87 (re-lube window mechanism, rustproof door skins, etc), and I've never attempted this before.

Other than the instructions in the Fisher Body service manual, are there any tips on how to best remove & reinstall the door panels??

What kind of tools does one need to do this job right?

Are any clips or fasteners likely to break during this procedure?

I've got some miscellaneous body-trim tools laying about (see pic), but don't even remember how to use them, or whether they're even correct!
Its very easy... you will need the center tool to use for the handles..

Take the window crank(if you don't have power windows) won't need otherwise

Okay here it goes... remove the 2 covers on the pull straps.. remove the screws
next take the screws off the arm rest.. remove it..

next I believe there are some more screws in there.. take those off.

Now gently.. take the top section up over the tabs on the door and pull away from the door.. there are many tabs to pull on..

Do the same for the bottom.. have clean hands and don't be in a rush!:)

Thats exactly right, dont rush!

You will more than likely break a few tabs, but those are replaceable and very cheap. The bigger problems happen when you rush, and instead of the tabs breaking, you pull them straight out of the panel and break the mounting hole in the door panel itself, then theres really not an easy fix.

If one is really sticking and you are having problems, I have always stuck some wire cutters up behind there to cut the replaceable tabs, instead of taking the chance of breaking the door panel.

Good Luck!

Would it be helpful to have one of the tools pictured below, to assist in removing the door panel from the clips ?? (these are Lisle brand tools).

Attachments

• BODY TOOLS Lisle.jpg
    BODY TOOLS Lisle.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 228
Would it be helpful to have one of the tools pictured below, to assist in removing the door panel from the clips ?? (these are Lisle brand tools).

The top Fork tool would work, but I never use those.. just gently pry back on the panel and you can feel it coming out..

If one of the tabs comes out of the panel.. its okay.just use some pilers and pull the tab out of the door..

I wish you lived nearby.. I would do it for you!:smile:

I have and used the 35400L tool. Take your time and pry slowly. You may want to put a thin piece of sheet metal behind the tool when you pry or you may remove some paint by the pressure. You will also have to disconnect the power window switch, power door lock, and remove the remote mirror cable to totally take the lower door panel off.

Craig

Dumb question, how do you take the covers on the pull straps off? Do you mean the little black squares at the end of the vinyl strap before the chrome plastic? Mine don't want to come off and I'm afraid of breaking them. The outside door handle quit working and I know the rod has come disconnected inside the car, where can I get the clips to hold the rods together? the lower door panel just came off by pulling on it. What do you use to lube the window mechanism?