Removing and replacing door speakers?

ksmmspt

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my stock GN speakers with good current technology speakers. Is there a way I can access the door speakers without removing the door panel. I was hoping the little concert sound panels would just pop off allowing access to the speakers. Am I right? Is the door speaker size 5 and 1/2?

Also, any suggestions on the upper dash speakers as far as a replacement? I thought I would try to save some money by purchasing the speakers myself and installing them as long as the job is just remove and replace. Thanks.

You can replace them yourself, no problem, but doing it without removing the door panels is a nice dream, but unfortunately that is all it is.

I just replaced my door speakers (egads they were original, guess that made them 18 years old - probably time for a change) with Pioneer 5 1/2's, and I will attest, there is no way to get to them without removing the door panels.

But the good news is the door panels are not that bad to get on and off, 10 minutes off, ten minutes back on. Plus, you can take the opportunity to blow out 18 years of dust and grime from inside the door panels.

Replacing the door speakers was a good move, sound quality improved greatly, and I can listen at a reasonable volume and not blow the eardroums of passengers in the back seat.

Only problem, is when I attached my front speakers to the amp in the trunk, the bass really rattled the windows and door panels, so I had to turn on the filter to remove the bass frequency from the channel for the front speakers.

Its all a big experiment anyway, so what the hell.

Thanks for the reply. What steps do I need to take when removing the door panels? Thanks

1. Unscrew the door lock plunger on top, set aside.
2. Using a medium size phillips, remove the arm rest pad.
3. Using a larger phillips, remove the arm rest.
4. Firmly, but somewhat carefully lift up and out on the top half door panel. Be mindful of the window controls wires which will remain attached. Also notice the plastic press-into-place fasteners, most likely they will remain in the door and pull out from the panel.
5. Unscrew the blue retaining bolt from the electric window switch.
6. Using a small flat head screw driver gently lifit and remove the wire connecter from the window control.
7. Remove the bottom door panel by firmly pulling it off from the door. It is attached only by the plastic -press-into-place fasteners, which once again will remain attached to the door (most likely). Be careful of the electric door lock switches, these wires will remain attached.
8. Remove the power lock wires as you did the window switch.
9. Using a pair of pliers carefully remove all of the plastic-press-into-place fasteners and screw them back into the top and bottom door panels.
10 The speakers will still be bolted to the door. About a foot back along the wire is a connector which can be disconnected, and the speakers are held in place with 3 long phillips head screws.

To re-install reverse steps 8 - 2.

Final step, throw away the door plungers and replace with ones that are more dificult to pop open with an unbent coat hanger.

Also, the sell baffling for door speakers, its about $24 which seems high, but improves sound quality. (I wish I had done this, and probably will go back in and install this baffling when I get a chance).

I would say, "Good Luck", but it is not that rough. IMHO, the reason that sound stores often have free or $1 installation is because any monkey with a set of screwdrivers can do it.

Holy crap!!:eek:
Thanks for the detailed instructions. It doesn't sound that bad. Do you have any suggestions on speakers to replace the stockers? Should I go with 6x9s in the rear? I have a new GM cd module that you find in current model gm trucks and cars. Thanks a bunch.

I can't pretend to know much about audio beyond what I have done.

I went with Infinity 6X9's REF9613I in the rear and Pioneer 5 1/2's (TS-G1340R) up front. Why did I pick them, opportunity and cost, found both of them new in box at a deal price from a seller with less than reputable sources. Replaced my Stock head with a Kenwood 180w, why that one? I bought it for $15 from a guy who needed some quick cash (I did not ask where it came from).

This was a really great sounding setup without any external subs or additional amps.

But unable to pass up deals, the guy who sold me the head, came forth with a pair of JL Audio 12' subwoofers in case, for $50. So I bougt them and from a swapmeet bought a factory re-furbbed Pioneer 4-channel amp, Kenwood 2-channel amp, and a big gauge instal kit, all three for about $250.

I installed the big Frankenstein audio system into my Basket Case GN and lived happilly, and economically ever after. (Grand total cost : about $410, plus another $100 buck in assorted wire blocks, fasteners, plywood and cloth uses to finish out my trunk compartment).

It's just a shame St. Louis radio sucks so much that there wasn't much good to listen to. (Thank God for Ipod and XMradio)

I bought a pair of 5 1/4" Rockford Fosgate speakers from Best Buy. They were about the same price as the Pioneers, but IMHO they had better sound. I did use Pioneer 6x9's in the rear. I suggest you head to your local audio store and listen to each speaker before you buy.

jamming buicks

hey guys

in my currnet setup i have a JVC head unit matted with a 400 watt 2 channel poineer amp. the dash speakers are poineer 3.5 2 ways with 300hz blockers the door speakers are the factory concert sound ones ( i installed the concert sound in my car mind you) then i have the sony explode 6x9 three ways with the upper speaker disconnected. the left channel run the leaft side and the right channel runs the right side. i'm gonna get a cross over soon but for now it really rocks. the reason for doing away with the three way on the 6x9's was witht he amp powering them the treble was so broght in the back everybody compalined about it and it actually sounded better too when i unhooked them.

for those of you using the poineer 6x9's go with the sony explode ones they have double the bass reponse and clarity for about the same price. i had the pioneer's in may car and a frined had almost the same set-up and he was using the sony explodes and with a smaller amp he was blowing mine away so needless to say i went and bought me the sony 6x9's :)