remove/replace ignition lock?

nero

anyone have a link to instructions or can someone brief me on the process? I finally,after 4 hours and after 2 hours of a healthy application of wd40, got the ignition key to turn out of the lock position! was wondering if someone can brief me on how to remove that lock so that I can replace it... hell should i replace the switch too?

I'm going under the tranny in about 5 minutes to do what was suggested in my other thread (loosein the bracket by the driver's side tranny and tightening it on point)

thanks in advance

One thing you're going to need is a steering column repair tool. Should be available at most parts stores. Without it, you'll have a helluva time getting the retaining ring off.

Other then that its pretty simple, I've done it numerous times. You need to take the steering wheel off, then remove the plastic cover and expose the steel plate. With the steering column tool, you need to push the plate down then remove the retaining ring. Once thats off, use a phillips screwdrive to remove the turn signal switch, should be 3 screws total, 2 holding the switch in place, and one that holds down a piece of metal that connects to the turn signal lever. Oh, don't forget to remove the hazard switch on top of the column. Its held in by a phillips as well, and be careful cuz its spring loaded.

You should be able to see where the lock cylinder goes into the column by this time. Its typically held in by a torx head screw. Before you remove the screw, there should be a white plastic piece that you have to pull out, but be careful, there's a thin piece of metal attached to it. Thats your contact for the ding you hear when the key is in the ignition. Remember how its placed on the white piece of plastic.

Once you remove that, undo the screw holding the cylinder in place and simply pull it out. Replace it with the new ignition switch and put the screw back in holding it in place, then put that small peice of metal on the white plastic piece and slip it back into place. Put the turn signal switch back together and place the steel plate back on the column. It only goes on one way so if you need to force it, its not aligned properly. Place the ring over the shaft then attach the steering column repair tool back on and use it to push the plate down. Push the ring back into place holding it in then put the plastic plate cover back on.

It sounds more daunting then it really is. If you want to try it without the steering column tool, you'll be in for some frustration. If you have any more questions about it, feel free to email me. cameron_p27@hotmail.com

thanks! very informative, i think i'll attack this on monday (work 12 to 12 graveyard shifts on the weekends)

while at work, i was playing with advance auto's website--two different pieces came up, the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch? which am i looking to get? and is "gp sorenson" a reputible company?

thanks
-nero-

You need the ignition lock cylinder. Best way to to take the steering wheel off is to use a steering wheel remover. I know some part stores rent tools, might be able to rent the steering wheel remover and steering column repair tool.

The wheel is simple, take the horn button off, two allen head screws at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, and remove the main nut holding the wheel in place. Sometimes you might get lucky and be able to just pull the wheel off, but more then likely you'll need the steering wheel puller.

thanks! i will call the local parts stores for the wheel parts for rent and i have book marked this thread for monday!

thanks again!

No Problem. Glad I was finally able to contribute to the board after its helped me numerous times.

one last nit-picking thing-- you wouldn't happen to know what size torx screw is holding the lock cylinder? or is it a one-tool-removes-all sorta thing?

i'll get both sizes, thanks again dude! that was a serious fast response!!!!!

torx screw driver
steering wheel remover
steering column repair tool
and ignition lock cylinder....
and a 6 pack

i'm off to the parts store and the liquor store ;)
thanks again!!!

Fixed it yesterday morning! Thanks again for the patience and info! It WAS the cylinder lock as you suspected!!!!!

-nero-

Hey there, I am doing a similar project, only I am replacing that plastic piece that goes behind the steering wheel lock that holds that little spring thing for the horn in. (mines cracked) How do I get this off? I have everything off to the point where I can see the little button that locks the steering wheel when there is no key. How do I get this huge metal piece off???

Thanks all!

Scott

The easiest way is to get a steering column repair tool. Most parts houses sell them, and I believe some rent them. The plate has to be pushed down so you can remove the retaining ring on the column shaft. You can do it without the repair tool, but getting it back in is a challenge and a lil aggravating.

my horn contact ring just broke last week , horn went off when i closed my door and stayed on , had to pull the horn wires off under the hood
Ive probably pulled apart a hundred GM columns before , it no big deal with the right tools

once you pull the steering wheel and remove the plastic cover cap youll see the sprocketed cancelling cam .
the steering wheel cancelling cam tool (about 15.00 at autoparts supply )will allow you to depress the cam and then youll need a pair of small screwrdivers to remove the locking ring (one to hold it out while you use the other to pry it up then just work it off a little at a time ), once its out of the recess just slide it up with the lock cam , try not to bend it up too bad because you need to reuse it (book says replace but good luck finding one when you need it )
the horn contact just slides off and new one slides on , the cancelling cam only goes on one way and dont forget to realign the mark on the end on the shaft with the steering wheel because ithe grooves arent keyed like the cam to prevent you from putting it on wrong .