remote start help!

str8six

i am new to this posting thing......any help would be appreciated..i ave a 1987 buick we4.....and installed a clifford paging alarm system with remote start....but the installation guy cannot seem to get the remote start to work ...something to do with the factory alarm system>?....he says its a bad starter solenoid but the car starts right up with the key....any suggestions>?....does he have to remove the factory security first so the remote start can work?>.....thanks guys

i am new to this posting thing......any help would be appreciated..i ave a 1987 buick we4.....and installed a clifford paging alarm system with remote start....but the installation guy cannot seem to get the remote start to work ...something to do with the factory alarm system>?....he says its a bad starter solenoid but the car starts right up with the key....any suggestions>?....does he have to remove the factory security first so the remote start can work?>.....thanks guys

There should not be any reason that it isn't just a simple install for a remote start. The Buicks don't have anything 'special' when it comes to factory security. I almost _want_ to say this installer is not a professional and more of a person that has to have a mapping to each color wire. In the old days, you knew where things went, and you found out by finding them on your own or in a rare day - from an actual book :)

Maybe if you can give me what color wires he put where I can get you pointed in the right direction.

He is correct. There is nothing special. I've done remote starts for years, and these cars are super easy.
This might help.

1987 BUICK REGAL 2DR SEDAN

Audio/Mobile Video
WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery ORANGE (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BLACK (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination GRAY (+) RADIO HARNESS
Dimmer BROWN (+) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna PINK (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) TAN
LF Speaker (-) GRAY
RF Speaker (+) LIGHT GREEN
RF Speaker (-) DARK GREEN
LR Speaker (+) BROWN
LR Speaker (-) YELLOW
RR Speaker (+) DARK BLUE
RR Speaker (-) LIGHT BLUE
Amp Location NOT LIKELY
Steering Cntrls NO
Speed Cntrl NO
Radio Security NO
Security
Battery RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 1 PINK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Starter 1 YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
All Door Trigger WHITE (-) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
Trunk Trigger LIGHT BLUE (-) AT TRUNK SWITCH
Hood Trigger N/A
Alarm Disarm N/A
Parking Lights BROWN (+) AT LIGHT SWITCH
Convenience
Headlights-Lo YELLOW (+) HEADLIGHT SWITCH
LF Pk Lt Bulb BROWN (+) AT FRONT LEFT PARKING LIGHT
RF Pk Lt Bulb BROWN (+) AT FRONT RIGHT PARKING LIGHT
LR Pk Lt Bulb BROWN (+) AT REAR LEFT PARKING LIGHT
RR Pk Lt Bulb BROWN (+) AT REAR RIGHT PARKING LIGHT
Remote Start
Battery RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 1 PINK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Accessory 1 ORANGE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Starter 1 YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Anti-Theft Descript NONE
Neutral Safety ORANGE/BLACK (-) AT ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
Tachometer WHITE (-) OR VIO/WHT (-) AT COIL OR MULTI COIL PAC
Speed Sense DARK GREEN (AC) ECM,PASS.SIDE DASH,WHT 32 PIN PLUG,PIND1
Parking Lights BROWN (+) AT LIGHT SWITCH
Brake Lights WHITE (+) AT BRAKE SWITCH
Reverse Lights LIGHT GREEN (+) AT GEAR SELECT SWITCH
Horn BLACK (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
Modules
WIRE LOCATION
Please select another category
Doorlocks/Windows
Power Unlock BLACK (+) POSITIVE TRIGGER
PowerLock LIGHT BLUE (+) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL AT DOOR HARNESS

Note: Audiovox makes no representation or warranty with respect to the above information including its accuracy, completeness, or its freedom from third parties' proprietary rights. Audiovox disclaims all liability or responsibility for errors or omissions therein or any decision made by the recipient in reliance thereon. The installer must verify any circuitry with the proper test equipment prior to installation.

To me it sounds like a poor installation and he is not familiar with the clifford stuff. I agree with everyone else that is an extremely straightforward install. Most remote starts have a wire that needs to be grounded to enable the remote start and that sounds like the problem.

thanks for the responses.....just wondering...would the starter solonoid be to blame?...i had heard that when the solonoid goes out the car will not start and that there is no in between....either they work or they do not.....the alarm guy blames it on the solonoid...but the car starts up with the key