Remember the definition of insanity?

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
...Which is, doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?

Well, I'm insane. Or at least, potentially insane.

Most sage advice is along the lines of, "The only TR worth anything is an '86-87 Intercooled SFI. That's the one to start with." I never listened. I built an IC car, but started with a hot air.

Before that, I bought an '84 GN because I liked the interior. Hot Air, Schmot Air, who cares?

And before that, I had an '83 T-Type. Carbed turbo. It was a dog, but man was she pretty. I ended up blowing the turbo and swapping in an SBC. But hey, I was young.

Never got to where I wanted to be with any of those cars, probably because I'm an engineer and can't leave well enough alone, so I'm never satisfied.

So here I am, it's been 8 years since I last owned a TR, and I come across an ad for an '83 T-Type, and I'm bitten by the nostalgia bug. Cosmetically, she has been bastardized and stripped of her badges, but the body is straight and everything else is there, including the original carbed wheeze box under the hood. But I really have a soft spot for these cars. I'm going to take a look at her tomorrow and I hope she hasn't been sodomized too much, because I have my heart set on bringing her home.

If this works out and I find a new girlfriend --er, project -- to spend all my money on, I might be needing a few parts, and lots of advice (which I probably won't listen to, because, well... history speaks for itself! LOL) regarding tweaks for the LM9.

If that fails, I could build a nice 455, or a twin-turbo'ed 350 Buick... Hmmm.... :sneaky:

There have been more than a few changes with B4black cars since 07 so you might do a little searching on the new tech that's been happening. The link in my sig will give you some ideas on how to build a bigger better turbo for a carbed car, and so far, 1 has run in the 11's. :D

The carbed cars can be built just like the SFI cars if you have even a clue on how to do it. The only difference is that you've got a carb on the top for a throttle body, and it's a wet system.;)

There have been more than a few changes with B4black cars since 07 so you might do a little searching on the new tech that's been happening. The link in my sig will give you some ideas on how to build a bigger better turbo for a carbed car, and so far, 1 has run in the 11's. :D

The carbed cars can be built just like the SFI cars if you have even a clue on how to do it. The only difference is that you've got a carb on the top for a throttle body, and it's a wet system.;)

Damn Charlie, you've been busy! LOL. Good stuff!

Damn Charlie, you've been busy! LOL. Good stuff!
That's only the beginning Dave. Do a search in B4black under my name, matt231, and canadian nascar to get some ideas. Canadian Nascar has gone to the full TE62-DT and has had some issues, but after changing the converter for a higher stall, and going with the viper knock controller. Can't remember who makes it off the top of my head but it completely replaces the stock knock control and will allow you to do all kinds of timing control like you've never had before, and you can do it for one, or all cylinders. It's stage able.

If I were to pick up a B4B car, which I really want to do, I would run it on corn!

Looked at it today, and I'm gonna pass. Too many original pieces missing, no RPO sticker, and with what it needs he won't come down in price to anything close to reasonable. I'll watch it sit until he's desperate, LOL.

If I were to pick up a B4B car, which I really want to do, I would run it on corn!
To do that you'd need to make a lot of changes and you can't run the stock Q jet. You have to run a holley that's made for alky or you'll starve the engine.

To do that you'd need to make a lot of changes and you can't run the stock Q jet. You have to run a holley that's made for alky or you'll starve the engine.

Oh yes for sure. But I imagine corn will work REALLY well on a boosted carb car. I would do it just to see the difference!

An '83 Regal won't have an RPO sticker in the trunk. You would have to find a broadcast sheet under th rear seat or hood insulation.

I assume the an electronic Q-jet would not do well with flex fuel. It would be interesting if it could. (I run it in my '02 GS.)

For a while I ran alcohol injection using a mixture of flex fuel and water. It work,s but it's tricky to get right.

Oh yes for sure. But I imagine corn will work REALLY well on a boosted carb car. I would do it just to see the difference!
You'd need to find a 78-80 car since the electronic carb isn't used. If you'd like to find out more send Aj a PM and he can fill you in.;)

I assume the an electronic Q-jet would not do well with flex fuel. It would be interesting if it could. (I run it in my '02 GS.)
The fuel passages in the Q jet are to small for E-85 Rich. I wish they were big enough but Holley is the only one you can use, but it's got to be an alky carb.:(

You'd need to find a 78-80 car since the electronic carb isn't used. If you'd like to find out more send Aj a PM and he can fill you in.;)
Thanks Charlie, I didn't know that about the carbed cars. Ill keep my eye out for one of that year. If I do eventually pick one up (after this VERY expensive motor build), I will certainly ask him for some advice lol!

An '83 Regal won't have an RPO sticker in the trunk. You would have to find a broadcast sheet under th rear seat or hood insulation.

Of course, it's coming back to me. Last '83 I had was in '92. All I know is the car was originally Dark Grey Fern Metallic. I haven't seen a TR that color; saw it on a GP once and actually kinda like it. Maybe I'll take a second look after his auction ends and see if he's willing to be more reasonable...

E85 would be nice, but I won't worry about that since nowhere in CT sells it.

We will find out if they can do it Rich. Just sent an email to them with the specifics of the draw through system to see what they say. I doubt that the E4ME can be done but it is possible that the 4ME might work, so the earlier carbs may be needed to run E-85.