Relocated turbo

techniques

Hey I have been thinking about this for a while now and Im starting to think this might actually work!
Now w/ the new maifold being fabricated by js, I was thinking that instead of mounting it (the turbo) up against the fire wall,
Just mount the turbo closer or right against the header and route the piping to the intake that now faces forward and you'll still be able to keep it a hot-air car if you'd like. Now this is just an idea and I know this will take some creativity but I think that this can be done. Now the benifits, as I see it,, is to be able to use less piping to the manifold or I/C-if you have one and to have a wide open range of turbo sizes. Because I think even the V2 is limited to size, if Im correct.

Again, this is just and idea-- nothing too serious (for right now at least!) Feel free to shoot your ideas!

Jason

Heck, if you go to all the trouble to re-locate the turbo by the header, you may as well do the complete swap over to the 86/7 setup...bruce has run his 86/7 as a hotair, but why would you want to...You're already more than halfway to the 86/7 setup by relocating the turbo, just add the factory IC and you're done...

That would also obviously eliminate having to custom fab a downpipe to fit it as well...

I think there really are no benefits in moving the turbo or making a front entry manifold for that matter. If that's what you want, it's better to buy an 86-87.

The extra piping makes no difference on spoolup or power. I've gone from no IC to a big IC with a lot of plumbing with no difference in spool. As for turbo sizes, you can fit a 66 in the 86-87 compressor housing so unless someone decides to break into the 9s it's not necessary to go bigger. The rear entry intake will flow fine. Lee Thompson has been in the 10s with it and no intercooler. With the IC I bet he would be close to the 9s. I have no idea what my car ran before but it was quicker than two Viper GTSs from a stop and from a roll.

Edit- you beat me to it. I got kicked off the internet 3 times trying to make that post.

Originally posted by FJM568
Heck, if you go to all the trouble to re-locate the turbo by the header, you may as well do the complete swap over to the 86/7 setup...bruce has run his 86/7 as a hotair, but why would you want to...You're already more than halfway to the 86/7 setup by relocating the turbo, just add the factory IC and you're done...

That would also obviously eliminate having to custom fab a downpipe to fit it as well...

Well for me it isnt that much trouble!:D (I would be doing his myself for about $50 out of pocket)

And I dont think its even close to being half way to the 86/87 setup yet, after all, Im still using the 84-fuel rail,oil drain, exhaust and uppipe(modified of course.)

So Im still just toying with the idea, nothing too serious (yet)
But it doesnt hurt to try right?

Jason