regular TV thru HDTV

SmooveG

Are there any 24-32 inch LCD HDTV's that don't destroy the look
of the non HD Channels? When I compare the regular channels on
the Samsung 32" HD 720p to my 24 inch Trinitron Wega the Wega
looks much better and I don't wan't to pay more to look at a worst looking image. Is this a size thing or an HDTV thing?

It's mostly a size thing. Low resolution on a bigger scale equals bigger crap. Take a smallish low res photo on your computer and blow it up 3x and you get the same effect. Some TV's upconvert better than others. Try squinting. :D

It's mostly a size thing. Low resolution on a bigger scale equals bigger crap. Take a smallish low res photo on your computer and blow it up 3x and you get the same effect. Some TV's upconvert better than others. Try squinting. :D

Exactly;) Also, make sure that your input single is as strong as possible, these TV's demand the best single possible. Signal quality has a lot to do with it:

VHF connector = Worst Possible Connection
Video/Audio = Not Good, but better than above
Composite = Good
HDVI = Best Connection

You are able to pick out all the flaws, because the new screens are capable of seeing them. Take a good 50" LCD/Plasma and hook it up to a crappy DVD player (Crappy has nothing to do with price of the unit) You'll be able to pick out every time the unit drops a bit.

Here's some good reading:

Howstuffworks "Getting the Most From Your HDTV"

And if you want to ask questions from people that are crazy about this stuff:

AVS Forum

Hope this helps.

Rich

Like 54 said, use the best connections. I hooked my 32" LCD up directly to cable and it was horrendous. I bought an S-video cable for $5 or so and it's MUCH better. Still not the best, but it's acceptable until everything switches over.

HD and Playstation 3. When the hell are you going to get over here!!!?

Well....Not tonight lol....Just back back from in-laws. Hey BTW.......HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll call ya Friday.......Ken

Get Direct TV and you will not have to worry about crappy non-hd (well for the most part) pictures anymore. 100+ hd channels now:D

Oh and the list of connections are (in order, worst to best)

1.)rf (the cable connection)
2.)composite (usually a yellow wire)
3.)s-video
4.)component (or color stream, the green, blue & red wires for picture.)
(all of these are analog)

5.)dvi (digital picture only), which was phased out by HDMI, which carries digital sound and picture

I have been in the a/v business as tech for over ten years now. I am very happy that even most of the lower end equipment now uses HDMI. Makes life Soooooo much easier when connecting equipment and running wires.

What kills me is I still run into that type of customer that spends $10K+ on a system, but then wants to cheap out and use his 1980's VCR as a cable tuner. Then this person will complain about how bad his cable picture is on his $5K projector:mad:

Last month I stepped up to a 50" plasma. Most of the channels I watch are HD (on Comcast). They just added TBS so I can watch the Red Sox win the World Series in HD. In a year or two all will be HD. The non HD ones are definately not good on the big screen.

This is why the only LCD I own is my computer monitor. I have never liked the picture quality of a standard definition broadcast on an LCD tv. I own plasmas for now and may just keep using them but if this "blackout" of all SD programming ever happens I may go with LCD in the future.