Redoing the front suspension...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i have decided that it is time to redo my front suspension. my car makes to many clanks and thuds as i stop/take off.

so i need to know what involved in redoing the front suspension? is it hard? is there anything special that i need to do it with? and how much 'down time' would genrally be involved? and who has the best bushings?

thanks..... this is something that i am really looking forward to doing... :rolleyes:

-Neil

i just had mine redone with polygraphite bushings and also, new coils allaround and bilistin shocks. it looked to me to be a pretty big job considering i dont have half the tools to do it. but the polygraphite bushings make the car feel better than i ever remember. some people on the board claim they will squeek, i guess ill have to just wait and see. the guy that did it told me every nut and bolt was rusted solid and that the job is not a summer job. it cost me 500 plus parts but it was well worth it. that was also having the rear bushings done also.:D

If you've never dealt with springs before I would recommend getting someone else to do it. Those things can kill 'ya! The back aren't bad, but the fronts can be a pain, even if you do know what your doing.

Ryan

My T has high miles and had many squeaks from the front end. The upper control arms were the major problem. Replaced both upper and lower control arm bushings with polygraphite-paid someone to do that. Went ahead and replaced the sway bar and end link bushings with polygraphite for another $50 doing it myself (not hard). Bought bushings from Performance Suspension Technology (p-s-t.com). Also replaced shocks with new KYB shocks. PST has the best price ($119 for all four). The car is now really tight.

I have.

I bought the super front end rebuild kit from PST. I also purchased the center link from them (about $60). Instead of using their upper front control arm bushings I bought Del-A-Lum control arm bushings. I re-used the stock front springs, but recommend changing the "rubber cushion" that sits above the spring which I didnt do. While I had everything off, I coated the a-arms with POR-15 along with the frame rails and steering box.

It is a lot of work. I would estimate about 10 hours total from start to finish (including the painting I did). Dont be too scared of the front springs. I would recommend using 2 floor jacks per lower control arm when removing them. Do not remove the shock until the lower control arm is completely loose. This will prevent the spring from flying out and breaking your arm in half. KEEP THE SHOCK IN THE SPRING UNTIL THE TENSION IS OFF THE SPRING. Just wanted to clarify that :)

You have to remove the front brakes, loosen the upper and lower ball joint nuts a few turns, then hammer the hell outta the spindle and LCA with a LARGE hammer (I used a 3ft long sledge hammer which worked well). This will "pop" the ball joint loose. After they are loose, you need to put a floor jack beneath the LCA (lower control arm) where the spring "pocket" is, and the other floor jack a little further back towards the frame bolts. Remove the frame bolts and slowly lower the arm until the spring is relieved of energy. Then remove the shock.

The UCA is easy to remove. Make sure the UBJ (upper ball joint) is loose. Just remove the two NUTS (DO NOT SPIN THE BOLTS) that hold the UCA to the frame (right by the downpipe), then tap the bolts through with a hammer. The bolts have a knurled body that hold tight in the frame. You do not want to twist these or the splines will become rounded. Just remove the nuts on the back, and pound the bolt through. Now your UCA, LCA, and spindle are off the car. I dropped the controal arms off at a local shop and had them press out the old bushings and in the new bushings for me (costed $60 for all 4 arms).

Removing the steering (tie rods, center link, idler arm) is easy. Do not turn the adjusters or you will not be able to get your new steering components close. I just got mine as close as possible then limped the car to Sears to have an alignment done.

If you need more detail, or questions, PM or e-mail me. I will check this post back again too. I did not need to rent ANY special tools. Just make sure you have all basic tools and sockets large enough for the ball joint, control arm, and tie rod bolts.

SPOT MY 6 thanks, thats the kind of info i was looking for, i am not going to do this right now, i am thinking about doing it in december, when i am out of school for the winter. i am sure i will be in touch with you.

thanks!

-Neil

I re-did my whole suspension from front to rear using PST,
Graphite. Also installed KYB shocks. My 153,000 mi Limited.

Feels like new. I've done front ends before. But because of
my work hours. Had to have it done. Was worth every dollar.

In the past I've used a press that was available to me to change bushings. With Sockets to slide them out.

Thing to watch is the front springs. Be very careful, that it is secure.
I know I'm repeating what was said. But it is that important to know.... Good luck Buy the way, My limited rides nicer than my GN.
HTH'ed........Rob..Take your time...Also after six months have the car re-alingned.

I am in the same boat, planning to rebuild my front end when I install my Baer brakes.

I figured it is better to take everything apart once. My mechanic told me not to get the car aligned for a month becuase the springs need to set.

Anybody ever just reuse their stock front springs? My car has the "right" front end look so I am worried about changing the springs and having the "nose in the air look".

Vendor. I have redone mine and my old gn. You DO NOT need special tools at all. JUst reg hand tools. I replaced every component in the front end for $240. Took me 5 hours (I take my time). I went to a shop to press in the new bushings in the control arms. That cost me $50. Just put a chain around one coil and around the lower control arm. Thats the insurance that the spring wont come out and pop your head off. You will save much bucks doing it yourself.

Ralph

Vendor...whats up ??

I used energy suspension poly upper and lower control arm bushings.
Rebuilt mine and there is some aggravating parts to it and very time consuming.
i.e. - the upper and lower control arm bushings (go with poly) make sure you grease the heck out of em with the special grease they give you with the bushings. It will help on the install.
You need access to a press to take the bushings off and put the new ones on.
the original ball joints are riveted to the arms, so the rivets need to be taken off and the new ball joints bolt in.
The springs can hurt you, just take your time. get a good spring compressor.
Anyway, I would not tackle it without pneumatic tools and a real good place to work. i.e. ground/backyard/gravel ;)
I was fortunate at the time that I had a partner that was a mechanic at a dodge dealership and they let us use the shop after hours. So we had the lift, press, hot parts cleaner, pneumatics, etc. And it was still time consuming, so be aware it is pretty challenging.
Man the bushings made a HUGE difference. Good luck