Recommendations on replacement carpet and weatherstrips

turbodave231

I am preparing to send my 65K mile 87 turbo Regal out for a repaint. I am considering replacement of the weatherstrips and carpet after the work is done.

I am looking for feedback from guys who have replaced these parts. What experiences can you share?

Dave

Hopefully you have a good body shop doing the paint work. When I had my 87 GN repainted, they pulled the doors, trunk lid, hood, and bumpers. I supplied OEM fillers and OEM weatherstripping for the doors.
Make sure they remove the two rear side windows before they paint. Many mask around them when they paint and it’s obvious.

Highway Stars or ACC for the carpet and stick with OEM weatherstrip as no aftermarket fits like OEM.

I have already disassembled the car. I also did the wax/grease removal and scuffing on the door jams etc. This isn't my first paint job. No taping around things.......that always leaves a tape line and crappy work.

I have a Buick Guy who owns a Body and Paint shop doing the work. He understands what I want.

I have OEM dew wipes, but I am not confident I'll find OEM weatherstrips.

Does anybody have a source for the closed cell foam tape that is used behind the weatherstrip channels?

I have already disassembled the car. I also did the wax/grease removal and scuffing on the door jams etc. This isn't my first paint job. No taping around things.......that always leaves a tape line and crappy work.

I have a Buick Guy who owns a Body and Paint shop doing the work. He understands what I want.

I have OEM dew wipes, but I am not confident I'll find OEM weatherstrips.
You May never find the OE stuff.

But the aftermarket can be made to work nicely. Only if you have a lot of patients and nowhere to go for a while.

I did this years ago (maybe around 2001). You probably already know the deal. Lay it out in a warm place for days, rest it in shape, then when installing, glue and tab it in sections, let the glue dry, pull it to it's next intended position, glue and tab it there, temporarily secure it with masking tape along the way, go back after and twist it over applying more adhesive......Bla bla bla and a bunch of other stuff you have to make up as you go along.

PITA.:mad:

But somehow I was able to make it look good and work correctly.