Recommend what cd player?

tyrod

I have been out of the loop on car audio for some time. Could you guys recommend a cd capable system. I dont care if it has a changer or not. My car has the concert sound opt. and I have already upgraded the speakers. I just need a plug and play cd/stereo that looks as well as it sounds and an amp recommendation. Not one that requires two or more batteries under the hood:D thanks

A decent Pioneer would be good. Pioneers have good power and options. I just replaced a Sony that was in my car with a Pioneer DEH - P8600MP. The sony was perfect but I was looking for something that would play MP3s and I got a good price. Really any aftermarket receiver would do. I just have had good experiences with Pioneer and Sony. You will probably have to upgrade your speaker if they are stock though. HTH, just my 2 cents-Aaron

Originally posted by Royal-T-Ltd
A decent Pioneer would be good. Pioneers have good power and options. I just replaced a Sony that was in my car with a Pioneer DEH - P8600MP. The sony was perfect but I was looking for something that would play MP3s and I got a good price. Really any aftermarket receiver would do. I just have had good experiences with Pioneer and Sony. You will probably have to upgrade your speaker if they are stock though. HTH, just my 2 cents-Aaron
Thanks for the input RTL. I was hoping Pioneer was still a "player" in audio. I have been so caught up in work and the rest of the world I kinda lost touch with an old passion of mine. Ill check out your recommendation.:)

I put a 7600 in my fiance's Jeep. Also plays mp3's and is a whole lot less then the receiver in my car.

That's cool i guess it all depends on what options you want and how much power and sound quality you need. I love music and like making my own mix cds so mp3 capability allows me to put more songs on a cd - I also like "crisp" sound quality that can be played loud and not lose its clarity so a higher end unit was what i chose. i also like how newer aftermarket receivers look over the dated look of some factory radios. JMO. Its really up to you - ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THE FACTORY RECEIVER - Aaron

I had a Pioneer DEH-10 in my 70 GS. Thats a 1999 base pioneer model from wal mart. Sounded alright even after 5 years, but it wasnt cutting it with the new speakers and all. I did some research on the new Pioneer players with the OEL display since it looks so cool and all. Here is what i found.

Pioneer began using the display setup in '02 or '03. It is available beginning with the 6*** series players such as the 6400-6600(this years model), and is used on the 7,8,and 9 series.

These all use at least 2 pairs of RCA preouts for easy amplification with the later models having 6 preouts, with the extra 2 being used for the subwoofer.

The voltage output of these RCA preouts plays a role in the quality of the sound signal that the amplifier puts out, since it determines signal strength from the head unit to the amplifier. Generally the higher the preout voltage the better if your planning on using amps with your sound system.
Pioneer uses 4 volt preouts on most of these models which is about on par with most other higher end stereos out there. However for this year with the *600 series, they have downgraded so to speak, using 2 volt preouts on all models.

Also with the 2004 models like the 6600 - 8600 they have decided to remove the feature that allows one to add in their own animated graphics and screen savers to the display. This is a nice function that lets you put in pictures of your car, and you can even create animations with your pictures and videos. The new models no longer have this feature, which kinda sucks too.

Pioneer has a seperate line of products that they dub the "Premier" line. These are basically the same units with a "premier" logo instead of pioneer, and up until 2004 they have used 6 volt preouts instead of 4 like the pioneer models which is a plus. Also i have heard that the internals are better quality, although i cant tell you if thats true or not.

Basically if your looking at those models, then take a look for last years model instead since its got a couple better features.

I purchased a Pioneer Premier DEH750mp--which is the premier version of the 7500. Grand total came to 164 bucks off of ebay, compared to 300 for the new 7600 that you find in stores. Thats half the price, and more stereo for the money. Just an idea.

I bought a Pioneer super tuner something or other when I first got my 87. I just want to be able to play CDs in my car. I got it at Walmart for like $80 because thats all I had in my pocket. It sounds pretty good. I think I'll replace it with a better Pioneer eventually.