Recipe for mild 12 sec car

87gnfan

Can someone tell me what it would take to make a stock 87 gn a mild 12 sec car or low 13's.with out taking stock motor out,and spending thousands of dollars.I would appreciate any help.

And a good trans, been 12.9 on alky and street tires with no traction at 109.56 mph

I would do the following to a completely stock car in this order: Purchase a scanmaster from full throttle for tuning and data monitoring, get a new fuel pump and a hot wire kit for it, get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 60lbs injectors and Turbo tweak 5.6 alky chip combo, razors alky, cold air kit, test pipe/catback, 275X60X15 ET streets, shift kit and hardened strator, read, tune, run 12's all day

I would do the following to a completely stock car in this order: Purchase a scanmaster from full throttle for tuning and data monitoring, get a new fuel pump and a hot wire kit for it, get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 60lbs injectors and Turbo tweak 5.6 alky chip combo, razors alky, cold air kit, test pipe/catback, 275X60X15 ET streets, shift kit and hardened strator, read, tune, run 12's all day

X2 ... keeping it simple :cool:

Hell, a fresh tank of good fuel, 17lbs of boost and a Turbo Tweak chip should get you into the 12's. ;)

What everyone else said......my stock motor is getting freshened up because I'm pretty sure the valve springs are near death among a few other things.....but I was running 12.90's all day long with a half-as*#d cold air, 60lb injectors, fuel pump and harness, Turbo Tweak race chip on 110 octane, a 3 inch DP and cutout, slicks and skinnies, a 9" vigilante 2800 converter, and a solid rebuilt trans on 21lbs of boost with an old and used TA-49. I'm sure the car will go faster on with these parts but my trap mph were only hitting 102, hence the refresh :) Other than that, my motor is completely stock.

My car has a stock turbo,intercooler,jays ss exhaust ,smc alky kit 980 valve springs,rjc power plate,stock tranny,reds fuel pump,billet ajustible fuel regulator,tinman coldair kit scanmaster ,MT drag radials.My has went 12.7 at 1.75 60 ft at 104mph with tt chip.

My car has a stock turbo,intercooler,jays ss exhaust ,smc alky kit 980 valve springs,rjc power plate,stock tranny,reds fuel pump,billet ajustible fuel regulator,tinman coldair kit scanmaster ,MT drag radials.My has went 12.7 at 1.75 60 ft at 104mph with tt chip.

Wayne, how much boost were you running? Just curious :)

12.4@108 all day long, 93 octane and alky all day long. Stock turbo (ported), intercooler (ported),TB & plenum (ported), convertor & trans, stock heads (w/valvesprings) & cam as well... Stock original injectors too. Full weight 3700lb. street car.

Basic upgrades with 3" downpipe through a Hooker exhaust. Easy.:cool:

I'm confident a bone stock car with alky, chip, exhaust and tires could go 11's. Of course that includes fuel pump, gutted cat, scanmaster, cold air kit.

Hey i appreciate all the responce,i am gonna try some of the stuff and we see if i go faster.My dad has an 87 monte ss and he thinks his car can beat mine.....got to make him eat crow..:)

bone stock that gn will kill that monte ss!!

Yeah, no kidding. lol

The Monte SS was a turd... regardless of what motor was in it. Even the "H.O." motor was a slug.

NO stock Monte will even hold a candle against a half-decent running stock GN. :wink:

throw all the go fast goodies you want at the car, but ive found one of the biggest bang for the bucks in these buicks is learning to leave the line. so get to the track and start launching.:D

So the with my mods below I should be golden I guess? What you guys think? Just some stickies.

So the with my mods below I should be golden I guess? What you guys think? Just some stickies.

you have no mods below??

nothng is a certain , plenty of cars out there with the parts to make the power that think they can ,but thats only part of it you want to know what your car can do go to the track and doit and then you can say you did or come back and post how you only ran a 13 but it could run a 12 the track was bad ..yada yada yada

it only takes one weak link and you'll be montecarlo fast ,
12s on stock (the basics like sm ,fuel pump ,tires and a little octane helps) is pretty easy if all works and you be careful not stupid , ,but plenty of cars have gone home on trailers with slower times
good parts and poor tune and your runs will be so, so . guys with less and a tune will womp you .
no traction and you might as well have stayed home

Weird I always had a sig. Maybe because I'm posting from my phone. Anyways I have a cold air kit, te44, 42 lb inj, walbro pump hot wired, 3 inch downpipe with dump, razors alcohol kit, scanmaster, 22lbs of boost, adjustable boost controller and powerlogger.