recharging capacitor

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
If I disconnect the battery for 10 days, does the 1/2 farad capacitor I have installed have to be recharged?

Yes, it does. Unless you disconnect the capacitor from the system before you disconnect the battery.

Mike

Good question but originally I used a little circut board provided for the first charge

Hmm, I would guess that they have to limit the inrush current when the thing gets charged initially. So it propably just puts in some series resistance to charge it ~ slowly.

TurboTR

I have seen several people melt the wiring to the capacitor when they have reconnected the battery, it depends on the size of the capacitor and the wiring. The safest bet is to use a current limiting resistor when reconnecting the capacitor.

Mike

TurboTR said:
Hmm, I would guess that they have to limit the inrush current when the thing gets charged initially. So it propably just puts in some series resistance to charge it ~ slowly.

TurboTR
That is correct. A resistor can be held in line (I'd recommend holding with pliers though, it gets a little hot!).

A 12V test light works well too. When the bulb goes out, current is done flowing and you're good to go.

now i know why it says not to throw that stupid resistor away, but the test light ideal sounds good!!!!