Rebuttal to TTa Values

Tracey,

When you sell your TTA for $19K, which I have no doubt you will get by the way, would you be interested in a 1976 Pinto Station Wagon. I am only asking $24,590.

The car is only worth what someone is willing to spend...in addition to the value we place on the vehicle-bottom line.

It is obvious that the TTA is a special "collectible" vehicle with history to go with it (Indy history)...AND probably one of the premier performance bargains out there---esp considering the low $$$ that some owners are willing to give them up for. I do believe that there is merit that some owners are "shooting themselves in the foot" by low-balling their price...but basically...are these people that sell the vehicles true "fans" of the Turbo T/A? If so...why would they be selling? Another point: If you are a fan of these vehicles...why get so "anal" about the abosolute value of your ride. Is this an ego thing or something to say my car pulls in GNX $$$. Everybody knows that the TTA is equal ( and some would argue) a better car then the GNX that usually run $30-40 grand for low mileage examples. Another way to look at it is...if the $$$ of these cars are cheaper (compared to GNX/some GNs)...wouldn't this make one happier that they can maybe purchase 2 TTAs for the price of a GNX.. That way you can have a highly modded ride and a close to stock representation of the best Trans Am Buick ever built????

Originally posted by 70Firebird/TTA
The car is only worth what someone is willing to spend...in addition to the value we place on the vehicle-bottom line.

It is obvious that the TTA is a special "collectible" vehicle with history to go with it (Indy history)...AND probably one of the premier performance bargains out there---esp considering the low $$$ that some owners are willing to give them up for. I do believe that there is merit that some owners are "shooting themselves in the foot" by low-balling their price...but basically...are these people that sell the vehicles true "fans" of the Turbo T/A? If so...why would they be selling? Another point: If you are a fan of these vehicles...why get so "anal" about the abosolute value of your ride. Is this an ego thing or something to say my car pulls in GNX $$$. Everybody knows that the TTA is equal ( and some would argue) a better car then the GNX that usually run $30-40 grand for low mileage examples. Another way to look at it is...if the $$$ of these cars are cheaper (compared to GNX/some GNs)...wouldn't this make one happier that they can maybe purchase 2 TTAs for the price of a GNX.. That way you can have a highly modded ride and a close to stock representation of the best Trans Am Buick ever built????

Very well put sir. If you are buying a car to resell because of it's value, this ain't the car. if you want a car that is truly one of the best performance cars GM ever produced, then you have found it, and at a very reasonable price.:D
I know I can't afford a ZR-1, but these will run right with them, for a LOT less.

Originally posted by 70Firebird/TTA
Another way to look at it is...if the $$$ of these cars are cheaper (compared to GNX/some GNs)...wouldn't this make one happier that they can maybe purchase 2 TTAs for the price of a GNX.. That way you can have a highly modded ride and a close to stock representation of the best Trans Am Buick ever built????

Thats a good point,and how I've been looking at it - I've gottan 3 so far for probrobly what I would have to pay for 1 GNX in similar condition(ie. not a super low or 0 mile car).

In alot of ways I hope the market doesnt take off too soon so I have a chance to pick up one last TTA :D

Lets assume these cars will go up in value, how long do you guys think it will take before we start to see an increase?

Steve

I am glad to see people that "think" the way I do and promote the "driver" attitude that these cars are to be enjoyed and driven...not stored up in garages...

Another way to look at it...is my attitude regarding my 2 other rides. A 1987 IROC Camaro and a restored 1970 Firebird.

>IROC...back in the day these were the cars to own and the TPI setup is great if you like the off the line response and ultra flat torque curve---even if it's only coming from 300 lbs of torque. I love this car and it's ultra reliable considering the car has over 221,000 original miles on the original drive train--yet I have only had to call AAA once due to a faulty battery... The car "feels" like it's worth more than the $2200 blue book value. To me the car can't be replaced. I slapped on a $700 paint job the other day...and you would swear by looking at it that it is 1987 all over again. Some people will understand how I can get such a kick in such a "cheap" car...others will be clueless. That's the way I like it!!!!

>1970 Firebird. I love the muscle cars of the past but don't want to lay down big $$$ for a 69 Camaro or a 70 Boss Mustang...so I laid down 2300 for a 70 Pontiac Firebird...pulled the engine/tranny myself and modified the car to run low 14s in addition to chirping tires in all 3 gears. Thus for a total investment of less then 6 grand...I have my POOR MANS BOSS MUSTANG...without the headaches of having such a car that you have to worry about accidents/theft. I can bet you that I have as much (or maybe more) fun then that guy in his totally restored 69 Z-28----who is probably soo paranoid that he isn't fully enjoying the drive! I pride myself in bringing this attitude to the TTA/ Turbo V-6 table....thus I tend not to be hung up on $$$ values of my car. The car's value to me is all that matters. :)

P/S It's amazing how many looks I get from people driving ultra dollar sports cars (probably 13-20 Xs the value of the IROC)...and NO...not all these stares are from their thinking that I am some low class mullet head :)

Well, On my TTA when I bought it it was wrecked and had 119,000 miles on it and I paid $3,500 Now by the time I'm done with it on the body work, paint job, and the motor rebuild I'll probley have about $15,000 plus in it all together and I know I'll never get that back out of it with but It's going to be the way I want it. I guess I could have bought a low mileage one but mine will have what I want on it and to me it makes it 1 of 1 I love these cars I've always loved the third-gen Trans Ams ( I guess because I grew wanting one as a kid) and the Turbo Trans Am was the ultimate Trans Am I'm now 29 and finally got one. I just can't wait till it's all done so I can go out and drive it that's what makes these cars so much fun :D Jason

Originally posted by Jas89TTA
mine will have what I want on it and to me it makes it 1 of 1 I love these cars I've always loved the third-gen Trans Ams ( I guess because I grew wanting one as a kid) and the Turbo Trans Am was the ultimate Trans Am I'm now 29 and finally got one. I just can't wait till it's all done so I can go out and drive it that's what makes these cars so much fun :D Jason
N'ough said right there, that's what it's all about! That's awesome that you brought one back to life! I just didn't have the time to do that, but I'd love to mod the heck out of mine and just can't bring myself to do it, and the way you did is the way to go!

Originally posted by 1989 TTA
Wait,

with a ticking motor it is easily worth $23-$24K.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112323

I'm not sure what has provoked you, but maintenance issues on my car that I am addressing have no merit to this discussion, nor do they influence the cars worth since they are being resolved.

The fact that I am resolving the issues my car has before I sell the car says alot about how particular I am as an owner.

If this is an attempt to be funny, you might try making that a little more obvious. Rather, I think it's provoking an argument ,which I will not entertain. I am sure other board members do not appreciate this brand of spite either as it goes against the spirit of what the board is here for.

Tracy,

You are asking $19K for a 34K mile TTA with a downpipe issue and a ticking motor? I have a 70K mile limited edition Chevy Chevette with rotted doors, quarter panels, no tick in the motor though as it is not running. This must be worth almost $30K then right?

Originally posted by Killa6
Tracy,

You are asking $19K for a 34K mile TTA with a downpipe issue and a ticking motor? I have a 70K mile limited edition Chevy Chevette with rotted doors, quarter panels, no tick in the motor though as it is not running. This must be worth almost $30K then right?

1. The car is not yet for sale.

2. Those issues will be repaired prior to selling the car so that there are zero issues when that ime comes. There is not so much as a single scratch or ding on my car and the interior was just restored as well. I expect the mechanical condition to be to the same standard.

3. You did not read my earlier thread where I pointed this out.

4. I posted this thread based on a positive conversation I had with a classic car broker who had a real optimistic view on the TTA. I happen to somewhat share that sentiment about their future value and collectibility. I thought members of the board would be encouraged by this as well. What I decide to ask for my car is my business and based on what the car is worth not only in the "market", but it's value to me.

5. It's a real dissapointment to see that there are members of this board who cannot respectfully disagree, and would rather be insulting and argumentitive.

Originally posted by Killa6
Tracy,

The point of this being.......

Originally posted by GTABurnout
I didn't feel like reading it all, so does this thread mean my car is finally worth something...

I dont know about that, but I learned that some dude has a Chevette that is worth 30 grand!:D

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I dont know about that, but I learned that some dude has a Chevette that is worth 30 grand!:D
Thats all you learned...
Damn that would have been a waste.:)