Rebuilding motor, need help w/shopping list!

LavaSurfer

What were working on: 87 GN hardtop - gutted kitty, shift kit (very nice 1-2 shift:D )

What I want to do with it: Its going to be a "sunny day car" that will see a road trip with the family once in a while. I don't want something loud, annoying, or a gas hog. I would like to see easy low 12's in 100% street trim with my A/C blowing ice cold and AC/DC blasting from the stereo. Mid 11's on slicks/skinnies and min. in vehicle weight. I would like to build the motor now so that later with a turbo, fuel system, and maybe some tranny work (t-brake, major building) I could get a high 10 with.

What I have already:
Engine rebuild kit w/Forged Pistons
Holley 340gph in tank fuel pump
Dual A-Pillar with Boost/Vac and Ex. Temp.

What I think I should get:

Engine:
Should I leave it bone stock or upgrade the caps or put a girdle on it for my power levels?
Should I get the heads worked over or would that be a waste of money at this stage?
Port match intake?
Bigger TB?
What should be done to the oil system other than a HV pump? (I know it such in these cars)
What cam should I order?
What sensors or other small things should be replaced while I'm putting back together to save me trouble down the road?

Turbo/Intercooler:
Will the GT3255E be big enough?
Powerstroke intercooler w/homebuilt piping (Should I be looking for one with plastic or alum endtanks?)
What I see any benefit from an external w/g?

Fuel:
42.5's
Adj. Reg.
Hotwire
In car FP gauge

Exhaust:
3" TH DP
3" CB (haven't decided which, don't want anything fancy/expensive)

Drivetrain:
higher stall converter (which ever one is rec. for my turbo combo)
DS loop
boxed lowers (or get some fabbed ones)
snubber
bags
leave tranny mostly stock for now (will i have problems?)

That is the list of the major items I have questions about. Is there anything that I missed? If any of you guys have some input as to what this combo would be capable of that would be awsome!

Thanks!!

(sorry for the long message)

First of all if you are going to rebuild motor at least put two billet center caps on the engine. Very important!! For the heads just get a valve job if they need one and at least put some upgraded valve springs (Kirban). Keep stock intake, plenum and TB. On the cam I would get a 206/206, 212/206, 212/212 flat tappet. I would replace your crank sensor and look over your cam sensor. Make sure your module and coil pack are working good. Turbo: TA49/TE44. IC: Big neck stock location or stretch stock location. I would not run a Front Mount until you are in the 10's. Fuel: 42 or 50 lb inj, 307 or 340 fuel pump. THDP or ATR 3" is good. 2800 stall conv will work perfect. Box control arms and add 2 airbags to suspension. No pinion snubber!!!!! Leave the stock one on the car. This combo will be good for mid/high 11's all day long with cold AC. Also make sure that your radiator is flowing good. Good Luck!!:cool:

At this point in time would my money be better spent in the heads or a bigger turbo to go faster? I have seen plenty of people in the LOW 11's and 10's with a bone stock motor. But if I decided to build this motor to go 10's would the money be better spent in the heads or the turbo since it is already apart out of the car?

When I did mine I went ahead and had a mild port job done on the heads, 206/206 cam, and forged pistons. Very happy with the gain in power and the potential of the motor. Wished I would have done either caps or a girdle though.

If the heads are off get them ported or buy some champion irons. A turbo can be added at anytime in a couple of hours, but swapping heads on an installed motor is a PITA.

Well, I'm just debating the cost of doing this now. If I can get an 11 out of it with the above parts list I might just leave it as it sits. I'm hoping to keep it below 3,000 for parts, and of course I will be doing most of the labor with the exception of block modding and assembly. I have built a couple small block chevys, but I really want someone that has done this before to put together this motor.