Rebuild time, Pics and questions

Sleeper-6

Well, I finally got my rebuild underway. I made my own jig to hold the trans in my engine stand, also a homemade pump puller that worked like a charm.

Anyway, I was having a problem with my third gear shift starting to flare and slip. So out the trans came for a little work. I'm planning on adding a billet forward drum and input shaft, dual feeding the direct clutches, and all usual rebuild stuff.

My preussure gauge was where showing lousy readings once the trans fluid begin to warm up. So I believe the pump is going south causing the rest of my problems. I found some light scoring on the pump cover and pocket (enough to catch a fingernail) Does this look like it would be the cause of my low pressure issues?

I'm amazed on how good everything else looks inside. Even the direct clutches only have some hot spots to show for the slipping they were doing. I figured they would be totally fried once I got in there. Can anyone identify what frictions are in here? Also, there appear to be several different thickness steels, some black some silver in the direct pack, what's up with this? Where the steels ride inside the direct drum has quite a few burrs on it, what is the best way to remidy this? I tried to show it in the pics.

So please take a look at everything and let me know what you think of what I found inside so far.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Image00014.jpg
    Image00014.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 193
More Pics

Attachments

• Image00022.jpg
    Image00022.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Image00027.jpg
    Image00027.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Image00028.jpg
    Image00028.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Image00030.jpg
    Image00030.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 168
  • Image00032.jpg
    Image00032.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 186
Wait! Isn't that "Hi-Pro" trans supposed to be rated for 900 HP and be able to live into the 9 sec range??? That really sucks man! Hopefully you will get it back to normal again.

Yeah it is, don't remind me. I wish I was making that much power to say that's what killed it. :eek: I think the pump took a crap and that's what killed the rest of the trans.

Hopefully someday I will have the time to take one of these transmissions apart and learn how to rebuild it myself. I also had my trans built by the very same place that did yours. It is the street strip version rated at 500 HP or is it 350 horsepower now that I toasted a band anchor a few months ago. I just don't understand where they get these power ratings for these transmissions from. You are not even making 500 HP with your build and you already blew up their 900 HP trans. I wonder how many times he has to rebuild the trans in his 9 sec regal per year? Don't get me wrong the guy can build one hell of a trans but these horsepower ratings are false advertisement and something needs to be done about it. I ended up paying 577 bucks for them to replace the band and a few clutches in the trans. I understand the trans wasn't under warranty anymore but he should have helped me out somehow since it was only 2.5 years old and they advertise it to handle 500 HP and 500 ft-lbs of torque. When I first picked the trans up a few years back some of the mechanics there told me I wasn't even going to tickle this trans. WRONG!!! :mad:

Sorry man had to vent. I feel your pain and good luck with your rebuild. By the way nice times with your GN. Get those 60s down and you should see 11's lets just hope your not rebuilding the trans every year though.

Yeah, I hear ya 100%. I was told the same thing. After I got a rough estimate over the phone of the repair cost,, I decided to learn how to do it myself and use the $$ saved to add some billet parts. It's really not that complicated inside, nowhere s bad as the diagrams make it look. I laid everything out in the exact order I removed it and am following the book from CK Performance to R&R everything, tossing the old parts as I replace them.

Nice pump puller... thanks for the pictures. I may build one. It is so much more refined than just tapping the pump out of the case, and I could use a little class in my act.

Looks like Bruce is right about these pumps being touchy, if that amount of scoring caused major pressure issues. As clean as the pan is, I wonder what got into it?

From what I can make out, clutches look like standard brown paper.

As a guess, the varying thickness steels may have been used to set clearances where the builder wanted them.

Dynotech. They have an excellent reputation, and lots of happy customers, I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones. :(

Sleeper, your direct clutches look like Raybestos Blues. Excellent clutches, but shouldn't have been used with kolene steels.