Rebuild stock turbo or upgrade?

streetknight

DCVING
I've got a GN that needs the turbo rebuilt or replaced. The owner doesn't want to replace the torque converter. I'm not up to date on the newer style turbo's. Should I look at anything in particular.

The car has blue top injectors and 3" DP. For now the car will not have an alky kit or race gas, so boost will probably not go above 17 for now, but plans are for an alky kit at a later date.

TIA

G-Body and Full Throttle both have the TE-44 on at an awesome price. Why would you spend just as much to rebuild, when you can buy a better brand new turbo?

Either the 4431 or the 6031 would be good choices.
I have no idea why they used the naming convention that they did.
These turbos had a 58 and 59mm compressor wheels respectively.
They both use the T31 76 trim turbine wheel.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers/entry-level-turbochargers/18

View Entry Level Turbocharger - 4431E
Part Number Part Number: PTB003-4431
Manufacturer Manufacturer: Precision Turbo and Engine
MSRP MSRP: $599.99
HP Rating: 590

View Entry Level Turbocharger - 6031E
Part Number Part Number: PTB003-6031
Manufacturer Manufacturer: Precision Turbo and Engine
MSRP MSRP: $599.99
HP Rating: 565

3431 is a nice upgrade to maintain a stock stall. Little more hp then a 49 turbo. We sold 2 in the last week for 49 replacements. Mike bacon formerly of PTE has been working with us for the last 2 weeks. Give us a call & ask for Mike if you need some more info. John we normally suggest a 2800 for the 4431 & a 3000 for the 6031.

3431 is a nice upgrade to maintain a stock stall. Little more hp then a 49 turbo. We sold 2 in the last week for 49 replacements. Mike bacon formerly of PTE has been working with us for the last 2 weeks. Give us a call & ask for Mike if you need some more info. John we normally suggest a 2800 for the 4431 & a 3000 for the 6031.

Brian,

I agree, however if you have a good chip and or advanced tuning ability you can get away with a 6031 or 4431.
We ran the 6031 with 40lbs injectors and a stock location in the Mail Man's car.
It was ok, not perfect.

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem, a stock turbo with a 3200 stall.
It is really lame...

So, what would be the difference between a 5857 and a 4431? one has a 57mm/76 trim turbine wheel and the other has a T31/76 trim. Are they different sizes or something?

Oh, and would it be best to just order one off the shelf or send in a Garret exhaust housing for them to use? I have several of those on the shelf.

So, what would be the difference between a 5857 and a 4431? one has a 57mm/76 trim turbine wheel and the other has a T31/76 trim. Are they different sizes or something?

The 4431 had the older Garret Turbine Wheel, the 5857 has a newer designed wheel from another source.

The Garret Housing will help the spool now, but could give up some power later with the alky.
For a stock converter car, I would see if I could get the Garret Housing on the new turbo.

Well, it definitely needs replaced lol. Made a quick video...I don't even know if this one can be rebuilt. Take a look and see what you think.

[video=youtube;sDsjnP_nF7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsjnP_nF7o[/video]

I am no expert but you should look at the compressor side too.
I have a bad feeling you may have some damage there as well.
You should talk to Patrick Rubio at Precision and have him watch the video.
That way you know there is a chance to save it before wasting the freight sending it out.