Reason for blowing turbos...?

automorph

I was putting a new turbo oil feed line in today and noticed this.... Our oil feed line goes into a brass block, brass block is then pushed into our block?? This block has 2 taps for 2 lines. I have looked in my TTA supplement and it states : 1. is the oil feed line into turbo and 2. is for oil pressure switch. I looked at my GN and that is how it is. NOW my car has the brass block but 1 tap is plugged and my oil pressure switch is below my oil filter. Could this be why I am blowing turbos..???? I know my car has been apart numerous times and I really do not believe the motor was put back together properly by the previous owner. Thanks for any replies.

I wasn't clear as to whether it was ALL, or just bypass oil, that travels thru the engine, oil cooler, turbo and THEN the filter. It was enough for me to order the PTE remote filter system to correct this Buick designer short-fall. As an added bonus to the system you also now use a much larger Baldwin filter in place of the smaller PF-52. I just pushed bearings out of my turbo and although there was no visible contamination in the bearings, [according to the builder] it was described as a classic case of oil contamination that took out my turbo. For $155, you can help correct the problem in conjunction with frequent oil changes.
HTH
Jim

and you guys would believe them builders if they had that famous ocean front property in the desert ..

the oil goes thru the filter soon as it leaves the pump then it is strait into the block right where the fitting is feeding the turbo.

the best oil supply you can have is right where the factory put it...if you waste your motor then small fragments will make it to the turbo bearings.

they will get scratched up like any other bearing and the particles will be noticable in the bearings even if you have to use a magnifying glass.

if they ever tell any of you that it was contaminated ask them what metal they found in the bearings ...if it is alum, cast iron or what ever if they cant tell you then they are full of........

then tell them you want your old bearings and your thrust plate which is easier to find the metal in.

BTW if the turbo's are not balanced just right when built they will take themselves out over time.

i did notice 51 turbo...strange

Red, Thanks for your input here. We all are aware of some of the problems of past for you. Twice this week I've had a TR vendor stand behind their products w/o pointing any fingers. It is these types of Vendors that will keep the TR alive. I will install the remote oil system for two main reasons, among many; 1/ Yup, my turbo was under the warranty period. Warranty against what though??? I in fact do change my oil on the border-line moronic schedule of 500 miles or 3 months. If the guy that builds my turbo says sh!t went thru it to cause the failure...who the hell am I to argue? This guy builds turbos, I fly airplanes. When he suggests that I purchase a mere $155 item that has far more benefits than draw-backs to extend the life of the turbo he's replacing for me, I say where do I sign? Especially when this new piece adds 200% to the available filter media! 2/ I truly do not know what has happened with yourself and this particular Vendor in days gone past, but with the repore I have with them and their product support, I will be behind them as I always have been. Please do not read a flame or anything else into this as there is absolutely no malice intended here what so ever.
Cheers,
Jim

Red's right.An improperly balanced turbo will go down the toilet real fast.
As to the bigger filter,yup.However,why not put that bigger filter right on the engine and save all the extra lines?
The K.I.S.S. principal always applies.Seems David Chase did this and picked up a few PSI of oil pressure over a remote mount w/ the same filter and you don't have to give up any factory coolers.

i can take responces no problem...:D

if an oil filter is the biggest restiction in the oiling system then why would you add another one?:confused:

i build motors not turbo's and there is no reason to need 2 oil filters if your motor is that contaminated its blown up time for a rebuild.

so are you saying your turbo's have been fixed at no charge?
thats what warranty means

point is if its clean the filter dont have anything to filter and if its bad enough that it needs 2 its toast.

and did you ever think if you lost a piece of exaust wheel and it went outta balance and took out the bearings do you think they would tell you that or blame it on contamination and sell you something else?

did you take the housings off and examine them? then how do you know it didnt happen?

why do they build turbo's because they like us or because they sell them for profit?

my favorite line
if they screw ya once its their fault if they screw ya twice its yours.

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
i can take responces no problem...:D

Me Too.

if an oil filter is the biggest restiction in the oiling system then why would you add another one?:confused:

I may be wrong here, but I believe this system replaces the factory oil filter, leaving just the new, bigger one

i build motors not turbo's and there is no reason to need 2 oil filters if your motor is that contaminated its blown up time for a rebuild.

See above

so are you saying your turbo's have been fixed at no charge?

Yup :D
thats what warranty means
You're right

point is if its clean the filter dont have anything to filter and if its bad enough that it needs 2 its toast.
Agreed

Hey guys...
External filtering is the only way to fly :) The added media especially in the Baldwin ($8) is well worth the bucks. As far as wipewing out the turbos and blameing it on contamination, that aint right unless sumthing else contaminated the oil, but you'd have it torn down for that anyway. The way i see it, we beat the crap out of our turbos. Diesel turbos run at 1300* all day and run up to 2000* (i think) under a hard pull, thats more than us. They last forever...but thay dont get slamd shut at a TB tho. That sudden shock of pressure and reversal of air has gotta be killer. Anyone ever put a boost guage in the up pipe and look for the spike ?? Id be very curious. I dont think i drive any different than the majority here, and if i dont blow sumthin up by the end of the year, id suprise myself :p Not that im excludeing all manufactures from there warrantees, if a product failes in an unusuallly short time of wicked thrashing, thay should make good on it. Ive got my 52 on now and am very happy w/ it so far,spools like a Bitch :) :eek: 'cept for a new "popping under 20psi or more, w/ no knock". Posably a module or valve springs.