Rearend issues

VKREGAL

so with this week off i figured its a good time to swap out my gears to 3.42s. anyway when we opened up the rear, we found that the lockpin for the spider gears is snapped and theres a piece thats stuck in and needs to get out. any ideas on how to get it out?

so with this week off i figured its a good time to swap out my gears to 3.42s. anyway when we opened up the rear, we found that the lockpin for the spider gears is snapped and theres a piece thats stuck in and needs to get out. any ideas on how to get it out?

i seen a guy get it out with a left handed drill bit and a pick. i dont know how he did it tho.

sometimes with a small pick it you can unscrew it and then use a small magnet

yeaa we've been trying. i guess were just gonna have to keep trying and maybe get hit with a little luck

If you pull the carrier out of the housing, your best bet is heat the carrier with a torch and drive the pin out from the opposite side, hoping what's left of the pin is not Gauled up too bad, I'm sure you could do it inside the axle housing still, but big fire hazard.

If you are talking about the lockpin that has a small hex head(5/16 or 3/8, I can't remember which), on a couple I've taken apart years ago that were broke, I was able to spin the carrier so that the opening to the pin points down, then try to rotate the spiders back and forth a little, so the the big pin which they ride on, turns a little bit and the broken piece may fall out. If it seems like it is held in there by the grease, spray some WD-40 on it to help it slide out easier. Let's us know if you get it out.

weve been trying to work it but the piece thats in there is still threaded a little bit. it needs to be unscrewed so its more difficult than we thought

weve been trying to work it but the piece thats in there is still threaded a little bit. it needs to be unscrewed so its more difficult than we thought

OK, I've been there also! Get a small scratch awl/pick, and a small tack hammer, hold the pick against the broken piece and try to tap light enough so it will turn, and while tapping on it, angle the pick so that you are trying to turn it counter-clockwise at the same time....good luck!

i bought a special extractor kit off a snap on truck years ago made for that purpose, comes with a center drilled screw and a long drill bit and extractors

wait

i bought a special extractor kit off a snap on truck years ago made for that purpose, comes with a center drilled screw and a long drill bit and extractors

Before you do that, I would get a reverse drill bit and try to get it out. You should only have to push hard enough for the bit to "grab" the broken piece. I think that the broken piece is hardened steel.

nothing worked trying to get it out, so were gonna hack it up however we can and get the internals out of another carrier or just get a whole different rear.

nothing worked trying to get it out, so were gonna hack it up however we can and get the internals out of another carrier or just get a whole different rear.

That's too bad....had you been closer I would have come over and tried to help you with it...