Rear Wheel Offset?

BABY BOEING

I'm about to order my rear wheels and have a couple of questions. On a 15*8 wheel is 4in. of backspacing ideal for clearence on the fender lip and frame? Also can a 15*9 fit and if soo with what backspacing? Thanks in advance for any help. Jon

I'd go with 4.25" backspace. Original TR wheels are 3.75" with 7" rim. Divide the difference between 8" & 7" by 2 - 8 - 7 = 1 divided by 2 for 1/2". Add that 1/2" to the original bs of 3.75" to get 4.25" & you'll have the same amount of frame clearance as you started with. The tire assembly will move out about the 1/2" you added to the bs - plenty of clearance to the wheell well.

you sorta got that calculation backwards....4" BS works "ok" with 8" wheels, but if you want to run big tires, 3.5-3.75 will keep you off the frame

for example, 275 X 60 X 15 Drag radials work fine on 4" BS (8" rim).......275X50 will rub the frame

28X9 slicks will fit with 4" BS......28X10 will not

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm kinda screwed in the fact that the wheels I'm getting only come in 3,4,or5in. backspacing. Is it possible that going to a 15*9 wheel with 4in. of backspacing allow me to run 28*10 slicks or should I just go with the 15*8 and hope for the best? Thanks Jon

Wheel BS

Will the 3.5" backspacing on an 8" rim give good clearance for a 28X10.50 drag slick?? Or are you better with the 3.75" backspacing?

Thanks in advance

either one will work.......may have to roll the fender lip with 3.5...may hit the frame with 3.75...pay your nickle, take your chance...unless your car is low 10's, a 28X9 is MORE than enough slick....and they fit just fine on a 4" BS and 8" wheel

Rear wheel offset reply...

On a 8" wide wheel you definitely want no more that 3 1/2"!!! More than that will have your tires to touch the frame for sure!!! I know, that's what I have on my GN. I had special 8" wide "stock" GN wheels made so I could keep the factory appearance but with 8" instead of the stock 7", and I specified a 3 1/2" rear spacing and it looks factory, without any spacers, and with NO tire touching the frame. So 3 1/2" is what you need! I can e-mail a few pics if you want...
'Bye, Claude. ;)