rear wheel cylinders and shoes. upgrade???

ir1680

its time to replace the rear shoes and wheel cylinders on the 86 gn. are there any higher performance brake shoes out there for this car? also i thought i saw info on using the wheel cylinder for a s10 4x4 somewhere.... supposed to have a bigger bore so it had more stopping and holding power. i can't remember what year and model s10 it was for or where i saw it. can someone direct me to the right tech page or happen to know the info on which whl cyls to ask for at the parts counter????

wheel cylinders are from a 85 s10 with manual brakes
so all you get is the 85 s19 wheel cylinders... what about the shoes??? is it a direct R&R (bolt on).. what is the diffrence between bot cylinders??? ive also heard that you can up grade to the aluminum rear drums.. where do you get this from???? sorry for high jacking the board....:biggrin:

yes just go to the auto parts store and get 85 S10 wheel cylinders with manual brakes and its a bolt in deal or you can get them from brian @ gbodyparts. the difference is there bigger. as far as the drums yes if you dont have alum. drums you can upgrade to them. you can find them in the junk yard but there not easy to find.

to get your hands on some aluminum drums contact board member psiedv6
last time i talked to him via pm he told me he had something like 7 sets:eek:
on my car when i had the rear rebuilt, i put the s-10 cylinders, "long shoes", and aluminum drums. the info on the cylinders have been covered. for the "long shoes" go down to the auto parts store and get 2 sets of rear brake shoes. in the box there will be to 2 "short" and 2 "long" shoes. take the 2 "long" ones from each box and install them and your done, what you do with the short ones left over is your business. i havent had a chance to test the brakes yet but i was told that they would hold boost better but the brakes would tend to lock up sooner so be careful:cool:

buickbert

when you run both the s10 cylinders and both long shoes braking in the rain is no fun.

to get your hands on some aluminum drums contact board member psiedv6
last time i talked to him via pm he told me he had something like 7 sets:eek:
on my car when i had the rear rebuilt, i put the s-10 cylinders, "long shoes", and aluminum drums. the info on the cylinders have been covered. for the "long shoes" go down to the auto parts store and get 2 sets of rear brake shoes. in the box there will be to 2 "short" and 2 "long" shoes. take the 2 "long" ones from each box and install them and your done, what you do with the short ones left over is your business. i havent had a chance to test the brakes yet but i was told that they would hold boost better but the brakes would tend to lock up sooner so be careful:cool:

buickbert
can you pm with the price of the rear aluminum..... thats if you dont mine telling me how much you got them for... thanks......

you would have to contact psiedv6 for that info, i bought them from him a while back when i was spending $$$$$ on parts, i wanna say that i paid something $100-$125 shipped for them. might seem like alot but they are in near perfect shape and have plenty of turns left in them. i do remember that he was a good seller, great communication, and quick shipping.

buickbert

you would have to contact psiedv6 for that info, i bought them from him a while back when i was spending $$$$$ on parts, i wanna say that i paid something $100-$125 shipped for them. might seem like alot but they are in near perfect shape and have plenty of turns left in them. i do remember that he was a good seller, great communication, and quick shipping.

buickbert
yeah, i already spoke to him..... i already order a set.. thanks for all the help.. let me ask you something, have you changed over to vaccum breaks??? if you have are they better than the stock set up???? thanks once again.....:biggrin:

Sorry to jump in here, I just want to say that I got a vacuum brake setup from RedRegalT a couple months back and once they get warmed up, they work MUCH better than the old crap master system. I was getting alot of chatter in the petal before they went though. Luckily I was driving only 25 MPH. I can actually lock up the rear brakes now. Now I just have to address the issue of one caliper grabbing harder than the other. Good luck!:cool:

Sorry to jump in here, I just want to say that I got a vacuum brake setup from RedRegalT a couple months back and once they get warmed up, they work MUCH better than the old crap master system. I was getting alot of chatter in the petal before they went though. Luckily I was driving only 25 MPH. I can actually lock up the rear brakes now. Now I just have to address the issue of one caliper grabbing harder than the other. Good luck!:cool:
so they do work better... do the breaks lock on you?????

The cylinders I got from Advance are part# W37644 :smile:

Quick question: The 37644, list a line thread of 3/8 X 24 and the 87 GN list the line thread as M10 X 1.25:confused: Are they close enough to work?

Thanks,

Rich

Hydroboost???? :confused: what the difference between those and the vaccums ones??? how much does this run for??? who sells them......

It runs off the power steering pump and can provide a lot more PSI than your typical vacuum set up. Not sure about who sells kits and for how much. GM and I'm sure other brands have used it in factory cars so you may be able to piece together a set up.