Rear traction bars and bushings...pictures...

veedubcrazy

Folks, I seem to be having a problem with the rear alignment affecting the front. When I put the Buick in gear, I get a clunk. But once in gear and driving, there is no more sounds (clunking). I checked the u-joint and its good. The picture below shows a crack in the mount of the RR traction bar. Is this common? How can it be fixed?

Picture146.jpg

Here is another shot of the RR traction and sway bar...

Picture151.jpg

Here is a shot of what looked like an attempted weld job on the LR traction bar.

Picture150.jpg

A shot of the LR traction and sway bar...

Picture154.jpg

The bushings are possible worn out and thats what is causing the clunking. Is this a job that I can tackle if done one side at a time? Are there kits for this? I typically enjoying tooling on aircooled VW so please forgive me. I want to get this TR on the road...Thanx...

Dave

Thats actually called the lower control arm. It is a very important part of the rear suspension. Get that fixed properly before driving it again. HR parts'n'stuff makes a nice kit that reinforces that area so it will not happen again. They also sell the bushing kits too.

what kind of bushings are in that control arm?
it might have solid bushings that are worn out.
and, yes, get the frame fixed up. that kind of thing will only get worse.

Guys, I have no idea what kind of bushings are in there... I am guessing stock. I have looked at some of the sponsors for the website here but I will look at HR stuff and see whats there...

side note... I just took off the rear shocks. They are shot...!!!...

those look like southside machine bars. they do not have a front bushing in them and tend to damage the front mount. i would remove them asap.

those look like southside machine bars. they do not have a front bushing in them and tend to damage the front mount. i would remove them asap.

And put in what? I am in the process now of removing the LCA's but they are a bear to get out...

Okay, rear sway bar is off and looks fine but a bit rusty... Now the thru-bolts on the rear of the lower control arms won't come out. They will turn but won't move out a bit. Not a little. I think the bolts have a groove worn in from the arm and thats proving to be a hurdle. I am stopping for now and will pick up tomorrow. I will take pictures of it all once its out so ya'll can inspect it.

i would put in a different set of aftermarket arms. you can get them from a board vendor or even from summit/jegs.

the bolts tend to rust to the sleeves in the rear bushing. it may take some pb blaster soaking and heat to free them up.

Remove the Southsides asap. Thats is whats causing the damage to frame.

The link you provided is for Hrpartsnstuff control arms. Great stuff, high quality.

Okay, rear sway bar is off and looks fine but a bit rusty... Now the thru-bolts on the rear of the lower control arms won't come out. They will turn but won't move out a bit. Not a little. I think the bolts have a groove worn in from the arm and thats proving to be a hurdle. I am stopping for now and will pick up tomorrow. I will take pictures of it all once its out so ya'll can inspect it.

You wouldn't still have those jackstands under the control arm, would you?

And put in what? I am in the process now of removing the LCA's but they are a bear to get out...

They're going to be a bear to get out. They're also going to be a bear getting back in. Word of advise, do one control arm at a time. Be prepared for the rear to shift as soon as you remove just one control arm. I went thru the same issue swapping lower control arms on my Chevelle. But a trusty floor jack and a set of jack stands helped. Also helps if a friend can assist you.

Good point but no. :p I moved them inside between the control arms and "pumpkin".

No offense intended. Why not try supporting the frame with the jackstands, and use a floor jack under the pumpkin to take a little strain off?

I had Kenne Bell LCA's (similar to Southsides) and they tore up my fame mounting brackets as well. Try to find a place that will gusset them, as well as weld them up.

Good luck!

Okay, one LCA is off and out of there. Here it is...
Picture169.jpg

The front bolt came right out with no problem, although I did not like having to insert a deepwell socket in the frame...The rear bolt was the problem child. I had to cut it out with a sawzall...:mad:
Picture166.jpg

The bushing pictured is a metal one approx 3/4" in diameter. No rubber, plastic or urethane at all. The LCA's on the TR are getting replaced ASAP. Preferably with something a bit more forgiving and absorbing...
Picture170.jpg

Thanx for the help so far...

Dave