Rear Seat Removal???

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
I know it's not that difficult. I am making my own rear seat braces and I'd like to remove the seat to make sure I don't go through the seat cushions with the drill. :eek: I pulled it back at the top to see some rods retained by clips. Seems to be an awful lot of force to pull one out...certainly more than I will muster to pop them all free at once trying to move the seatback straight up. Also, I just sliced my pinky finger trying this so I figured maybe I am not doing it right. ;) Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I like the feeling of accomplishment doing it myself, but returning to work tomorrow with ten fingers would be a real bonus in my line of work. Thanks.

I don't know about others, but mine is a piece of cake. They unhooked very easily and just slid right out. Thank god, cause I locked my keys in my trunk.:eek:

Seat Braces ???

Hey Albertan .... pulling the seats is like the candy from the baby deal. Get the seat bottoms out first ... then grab the bottom of the seat back on driver or pass. side and lift strate up while pushing in a bit near the top of the seat where the hidden clip is.. then switch to the other ( driv or pass) side and do same ...

Its tough if you try to do it all from the center... work from one side to t'other.

There are bolts at the bottom of the seatback? Remove the seat bottom first? Thanks for the info. Decided to just measure and cut all four bars tonight. Like to pull the back seat at lunch tomorrow though.

Bottom:

Start on the driver side.....Take the driver side of the rear bottom seat and push back and up at the same time till you feel it unhook, do the same with the passenger side of the back seat. After the two "hooks" that hold the bottom in place have been unlached remove it from the car.

You will then see two torx bolts that hold the back side of the seat on as well as the seat belts....Remove them, and then pull upp on the back seat torward the rear window (not too hard...don't put the seat threw the window) When the seat comes off remove it from the car, and put in your braces.

To install the seats:

Use JB Weld, and epoxy to get those suckers back in there:D

I hope this helps you.

BTW the bolts for the seatbelts are (I think) a T45 or a T50 Torx.

actually most GM torx head seat belt bolts are a special
T-500 size (has heavier round points on the star). A 45 or 50 will work if the bolt is not REALLY tight.

Back seat xtraction

Wow it was about 10 years ago that I pulled mine out to install a rear "fire wall" bulkhead. forgot about the torx bolts .... needing removal from the bottom seat back tabs.

Thank you.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for the helpful information. I finished the braces and am just waiting for the paint to dry to install them permanently. A picture is on the front page of my site listed in my signature. I did mine a little different from others that I saw when researching the project. I thought it was silly to bend the conduit to make them pass by each other at their crossing point so I mounted the one originating in the bottom middle a little lower on the outside mount and only had to dent it a bit for a good fit. I can't wait to try it. Man is that 3/4" conduit tough!. Much bulkier than the 1/2 conduit which is what I hear most of the vendors sell. BTW, for the Canadians, this project cost me under $10 (I had the paint) compared to close to $150 Cdn to buy them from a US vendor. Plus I have the satisfaction of having made them myself. Thanks again guys.

Glad it worked out for ya man, thats always nice:) Sometimes you can do it better yourself for less. BTW your website rules!