Rear Rattle Noise

foregn2

Everytime I go over some bumps sounds like something rattling in trunk. Trunks EMPTY, exhaust seems tight and snug. Any help or advise.

Thanks

rattle

Hi,
I had a similar rattle, and it turned out to be the jack parts. Are you certain the jack and tools are properly stowed? I don't mean to sound obvious, but it's a possibility. Outside of that, perhaps a shock has come loose, or something. Good luck!

83ttypecooled said:
Hi,
I had a similar rattle, and it turned out to be the jack parts. Are you certain the jack and tools are properly stowed? I don't mean to sound obvious, but it's a possibility. Outside of that, perhaps a shock has come loose, or something. Good luck!

Trunk is completely empty, I took the jack tools and spare tire out to reduce weight :) Thats why it bothers me because the trunk is empty but the sounds is rattling from passenger side like its in the trunk

foregn2 said:
Everytime I go over some bumps sounds like something rattling in trunk. Trunks EMPTY, exhaust seems tight and snug. Any help or advise.

Thanks

I had a 78 Monte Carlo years ago that had the same problem. This was about 20 years ago, so my memory is a bit vague. From what I can recall, my rattle turned out to be the emergency brake cable (near the rear end) was rattling against something. I believe the cable had a rubber coating over it which had worn away allowing metal to metal contact (rattling when I hit a bump). I found it by putting it up on a lift and moving anything which would move and finally found the problem. I put another piece of rubber over it and my rattle was gone. Might be worth taking a look at. Good luck finding the rattle.

Rob

A long shot...maybe

When you say rattle - I thought of sheet metal. My T had a metallic rattle from the rear. The long panel (l to r) between the trunk deck and rear window was loose and needed some rubber pads/spacers installed. That may help, but I might be thinking too simplistically.

Maybe it's the trunk lid itself. Check those stupid little rubber bumpers on the trunk lid and see if (1) they stick out far enough to keep the trunk tight when closed or (2) if the spirals of the bumpers aren't collapsed/sheared.

Will try all the solutions tonight. But come to think of it the noise didnt start til i took all the spare tire stuff and spare tire out and/or when I got new mufflers. Will keep posted.

possible????

any chance it might be the liscence plate frame bouncing from hitting the bumps jast a thought...

I had a rattle in my trunk that I couldn't figure out for a couple of years. I finally found it. The trunk loop and metal structure that is spot welded to the rear, back, lower part of the trunk had a broken spot weld. I'm talking about the piece that the latch on the trunk lid hooks to when you close the trunk. Grab the loop and try to move it. Mine moved slightly and made the rattle. Look at the most aft / vertical edge of your trunk lid where it meets the rear quarter panels. My trunk lid was rubbing there from the movement caused by the broken spot welds.

Craig Powell

Ive had a clankety clank clank sound coming from the rear when I go over every road irregularity for the past few months, and its really embarrassing cause its so loud. I found out what it was this weekend. I pulled off the passenger side rear wheel, popped the brake drum off, and this steel e-brake linkage bar fell out. It was rattling around in my brake drum along with the preload spring for that bar...dont know the official name for this piece. Ive never done brakes on a car like this, so I popped off the other wheel so I could see how to get it back together (I had an idea...turned out I was right), but was bummed to see everything saturated in oil and grease..the whole drum lining is even wet with grease from a leaky brake cylinder. :mad:
So has the feeling of your ebrake changed lately? Mine did a few months ago.