Rear end problems!!

87GN.Rickie

SLOW MEMBER
Guys tonight I decided to swap out axles. I have a slight problem. I went to remove the bolt which holds the pin in place. Well it broke! Now I have a piece of a bolt with about 7-8 threads. The rest of it is still in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this thing? The rearend is still in the car btw. I have thought about a left handed drill bit,But what happens if I mess the threads up? Strong tiny magnet which I doubt I could find one small enough or strong enough. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated:confused:

Guys tonight I decided to swap out axles. I have a slight problem. I went to remove the bolt which holds the pin in place. Well it broke! Now I have a piece of a bolt with about 7-8 threads. The rest of it is still in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this thing? The rearend is still in the car btw. I have thought about a left handed drill bit,But what happens if I mess the threads up? Strong tiny magnet which I doubt I could find one small enough or strong enough. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated:confused:

ouch, had that happen to me on a rear out of the car. i got/spun mine out with a test light, just one thread was left in the diff. Here's a tool that matco makes that was made just for this;) hth

Vehicle Service, Drivetrain, Clutch Service Tools | Matco Tools Online Tool Catalog

Do a search - this is a common problem. There is a tool you can buy just for this. I just changed my axles and was jumping for joy when that bolt didn't break :biggrin:

ouch, had that happen to me on a rear out of the car. i got/spun mine out with a test light, just one thread was left in the diff. Here's a tool that matco makes that was made just for this;) hth

Vehicle Service, Drivetrain, Clutch Service Tools | Matco Tools Online Tool Catalog

Thanks for the help! I did'nt think I was the first to do this. I will try to round up the local matco man tomarrow. Before I go and make things worse! Time is starting to close in on me for the Nats in BG.

Thanks guys for all the support! Going to be online tonight for matco tools and have one shipped! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!! This right here is why I own a BUICK!

why do these break so easy?

From what I understand. It is where the threads stop and the rest of it goes through the pin. Plus these parts are like 21 yrs old weaken over time. All I know is it really not so much fun under the car:( :(

that little bolt needs to be heated with a benzine torch to melt the loctite on there. been there done that!!!

I've never had one break and i've had the axles out of at least 20 different cars. Maby I'm lucky :D . How about trying an easy out? That is what the tool looks like only fancier.

I have to say I have not broke one since i bought the matco kit:confused: Seems like 20 years ago they broke all the time.

i just had this happen about 2 weeks ago
my solution was a 12 inch long drill bit- it was long enough to "bend" and fit without hitting the threads.
Then turned it on its side and hit the carrier with a rubber mallet, pin fell right out
I did break a few drill bits, but that was during the "experimental" phase of the drilling