Rear end fluid

MIKE C

going to install a new TA performance cover on the rear end of my 87 GN this week ,,could someone tell me what type fluid to put back and how much posi additive? whats the total to put back ,,oz? seen a post or two that said not to fill to up to the filler port ,anyone???

thanks

going to install a new TA performance cover on the rear end of my 87 GN this week ,,could someone tell me what type fluid to put back and how much posi additive? whats the total to put back ,,oz? seen a post or two that said not to fill to up to the filler port ,anyone???

thanks

when i did my car i just put off the shelf valvoline rear end fluid, i thnk it was all they had at the time(advance auto), nothing special and then a tube of trac-x or something like that which was the posi additive.

for filling, you want to be something like a centameter or so below the fill hole, i used a cotterpin tool to check it but fingers work just as good. stick the pinky in and it should be on the tip of the finger. hth

I used Royal Purple 75-90wt, awesome oil! You wont need any additives, its in the mix already..... I filled it up until it spilled out the factory fill hole. My rear has been quiet and has been working flawless since I installed my TA Girdle.
HTH

i'm an Amsoil man.
use the top of the line stuff (used to be called series 2000, don't know what it's called now) with no additive, and fill it until it just reaches the bottom of the plug.
Mobil 1 is also good.

When I put my TA cover on I used Mobil syn fluid but it did NOT have the anti-chatter stuff so I had to add some of that later.

I just filled to the top of the stock filler hole. Took extra fluid because of the added volume in the TA cover.

+ 1 for the Royal Purple. No additive needed. I used the LPW cover and found that it now takes 4 quarts due to the extra capacity.

+ 1 for the Royal Purple. No additive needed. I used the LPW cover and found that it now takes 4 quarts due to the extra capacity.

Sweet extra oil equal extra cooling. :biggrin:

+1 Royal Purple, only difference is that I use 1 bottle of the Lucas stabilizer as well.. quiet as a mouse

+1 on the Royal Purple

I couldn't find 75W90 locally, so I used 75W140. It got rid of my rearend chatter , and is a lot quieter! :)