Rear Disc Conversion

deuce4935

Anyone tried installing a disc brake setup on a GN? Supposedly, a 93-97 Camaro or Trans-Am rear disc setup is a direct bolt on but my local brake shop mechanic has said there is a problem with the drum backing plate being welded on and the rear disc backing plate being a bolt on. I thought if that was so then perhaps I could cut the drum backing plate and have the disc backing plate welded on but I wanted some insight before taking the cutter to my rearend.

The original g-body rear drum backing plate is a bolt-on to the rear end housing. You would have to cut and destroy them to clear the axle flange or remove the axles from the car to save the plates. Good luck on your conversion and keep us posted on the progress!

HTH - Jimmy

Much easier way to do it is through scarebird.com. They have brackets that can be bolted on, it worked perfect for me, you ust have to have the ends of the axles machined down to fit inside the rotors. It is extremely cheap for the machining and the only other thing you need is slightly longer studs installed. Check out the site I posted. It took me 1 day to get them machined and 1 day to assemble....EXTREMELY EASY!!! Let me know what ya think of the site.

Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC

I had seen these on Ebay but wasnt quite sure how the swap would go. Now would I still have to buy the Cadillac calipers, rotors and pads or can I use the Camaro parts that I already have?

Attachments

• Sept. 10 038S.jpg
    Sept. 10 038S.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Sept. 10 042S.jpg
    Sept. 10 042S.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 140