Rear Defogger dilemma

87WE4!!

Hi everyone, how is everyone feeling tonight?

I have another quick question that hopefully one of you fine men or women can help me with.

Ok so I wanna say it was somewhere between 1990 and 1992 (my brain is old and can’t remember) when someone threw a half Brick into my rear windshield and blasted it. Nothing was stolen. Just the window was broken.

Police report completed. Of course there were no witnesses on a busy Brooklyn ny street lol. But anyway after a few days of driving around with plastic taped to the window sills the glass was replaced. if I remember correctly the insurance sent me to a aftermarket glass place. I can’t remember the name but I do remember it wasn’t the dealer.

So they replace this glass and everything was great for the first few days till I went to my guy to get it re tinted and he brought to my attention that there was no defogger tape on the window and the wire was tucked away. So after having words with the glass place and my insurance (I was a young hot head a-hole back then). I was basically told that the dealer installs that after the glass is replaced. The dealer told me the window had to be ordered with the defogger fins (or whatever they call it) pre installed. Basically I hit a wall so I just left it alone.
Now that I’m back into my car 100% I’m all about making it look like a show car and keeping everything to match what’s on the RPO sticker. And plus I’m in my late 40s now and my eyes are not what they used to be when I was 20 years old lol.
What are my options? I’ve been looking locally for a cheap used G-Body rear windshield with the defogger and there is absolutely nothing available in my area. I actually don’t mind paying a fair price for one but unfortunately shipping is not an option I’m willing to entertain due to the high risk of it breaking enroute to me.
Is there such a thing as a kit that I can buy where I can install the defogger material on the window I have now? And if so does anyone have a link to buy it for me.

Also if anyone is selling a reasonable price rear windshield with the defogger from the factory within 40 miles of the Daytona Florida area. Or if you would accept mine in trade plus cash from me towards your window. I just figured I’d throw it out there.
My car is a 1987 Buick WE4

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day. And please be safe!!!

In short, no.

The heating elements are applied to the window at the factory. A 'home kit' would not produce the results you're looking for.

If you're after a quality restoration, find a glass installer that re-sells Pilkington, and get a new rear window with defroster elements.

In short, no.

The heating elements are applied to the window at the factory. A 'home kit' would not produce the results you're looking for.

If you're after a quality restoration, find a glass installer that re-sells Pilkington, and get a new rear window with defroster elements.
That’s kinda what I expected. Yea I guess I’m gunna have to just have to keep my eyes open for one. Or just wait till I get the chance to go back to New York to see my sister. I actually know someone with a mint condition unit that he said I could have as long as I leave my old glass with him. He is actually looking for glass without the defogger for his project cutlass or Monte ,,, I think he’s building a cutlass. But I do thank you for the fast reply.

Be well

There is a guy on eBay that parts out gn's. He is in Boynton Beach. Not sure if I spelled that right but he is in Florida. If you search for gn parts on eBay I'm sure you will find him.

Yes I know mike. Unfortunately I believe he is in his PA shop till the winter time comes. I haven’t called him in a minute. I actually should reach out to him.