Rear axel problem, sounds strange...?

HEATSEEKER

Member!
Hello!

I have a strange sound in my rear axel :rolleyes:

When i lift the rear up and grab one rim/tyre and tug it to me and then against the car, hope you understand?
When i am doing that i can move the rim/tyre approx 0,19inch/0,5cm and i hear a clonking sound at the end of every tug, it is the same on the outher side of the rear axel.
Even when i drive slowly on a road(gravel) whit many holes i hear the clonking sound.

What can it be?? Can i loose the axels in a corner :confused::frown:

I know i have the same problem on my Pontiac GTA-87 when i asked about the problem they sad no problem and just drive.

Please help!
Thanks, Jakob

Thanks for the quick answers! :cool:

So is that just normal? Do you all have that?
I don´t need to worry about to lose my axels in the next corner then? :)
What is the size on the c-clips?

Where are the point to worry about the movement?

Thanks for the quick answers! :cool:

So is that just normal? Do you all have that?
I don´t need to worry about to lose my axels in the next corner then? :)
What is the size on the c-clips?

Where are the point to worry about the movement?

yes just had mine up in the air the other day checking rear. the axles move in and out. dont know size of c clips

nope. if you hear clunking on bad road, i would check the suspension components first. bushings shocks etc... i beat the hell out of my rear and nave not had a problem.

nope. if you hear clunking on bad road, i would check the suspension components first. bushings shocks etc... i beat the hell out of my rear and nave not had a problem.

When i say bad road i mean realy bad, not on a regular tarmac road. Just like when you drive slow on a gravel road whit many big holes in it and you and the car rocking around :smile:
It is exactly the same clonking sound.

A clunking type of sound could certainly apply to your rear U-joint. Check it out! C-clips on our cars are in the order of about 3/16" thick.

There's no need to replace c clips. They are not a wear part and only serve to retain the axle within the housing. If one fails the axle will exit the housing.

Look at..

the ends of the axles w/ the tires off....is there a sticker on the center??

If so, could be "Strange axles"...:eek::D

Sorry about..

I don´t know if it are stickers there...
What is strange axles? :rolleyes::)

that. It was intended to be a joke.:D
Strange is an axle mfgr here in the US. They put a sticker on the ends of the axle to ID their product....