ready to install injectors, chip aint here yet

Ssvalleyboy

Is it o.k. to swap out injectors with out changing the chip? I have a new set of 009's i want to install today but my Turbo tweak chip for these injectors isnt here yet . Should i do it or just wait for my chip to arrive?

Ssvalleyboy said:
Is it o.k. to swap out injectors with out changing the chip? I have a new set of 009's i want to install today but my Turbo tweak chip for these injectors isnt here yet . Should i do it or just wait for my chip to arrive?
could install then all you have to do is install chip but dont drive probably foul out plugs and rinse motor down with gas

I second the above. You could install but wait for chip to start/run.

Those old injectors and the entire injector/rail assembly will be in there *tight* if its all stock.

To remove the injectors and rail, once you've unbolted everything, I've found that sliding the jaws of an adjustable wrench between the bottom of the injector body and the injector boss on the manifold, and levering it, will easily get it to pop out. Then you have to pull hard on the injector to get it out of the rail. Sometimes o-rings will remain in the rail/mainifold. Pull those out.

When installing new injectors, lubricate both top and bottom injector o-rings with liquid dish soap (Palmolive or similar) and they will slide right in.

I did that with mine and they still stuck! ;) Had to us a long open end wrench to make a lever to pry a few up with. I cleaned the bores lightly with a piece of scotchbite to get the o-ring crude off the bore. Watch the O rings going in too I pinched one of mine and it leaked vacuum.

Why soap?

lubricate both top and bottom injector o-rings with liquid dish soap
Why liquid dish soap? I've heard that petroleum jelly was good to use, is soap better? If soap is good, liquid hand cleaner would be good, since most of us would have some near the car- not sure most would have dish detergent.

I have heard that petroleum jelly can clog the injectors if it gets in there. I have also heard others say that it won't. I figure why take the chance, and I use motor oil. Just pour some into the cap of an oil bottle, and dip the injector in, turn and repeat. Piece of cake.
On wether or not to swap the injectors. If you want to drive the car then wait. If you swap them and the chip gets lost or takes a while to get to you, then you won't want to/be able to drive the car. They don't take that long to change, but you could soak the injectors down with WD-40 as suggested, to make the removal process easier.

thanks everyone for the removal tips. I guess i'll wait till my chip gets here to do the install. I just wanted to take advantage of this weekend for modding purposes. Dang!

Pronto said:
Watch the O rings going in too I pinched one of mine and it leaked vacuum.

Thats right. That's why dish soap works and NOT WD40 Mr. G R U M P Y :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

A trusted master mechanic friend has recommended motor oil to lube the 'O' rings :)

It works well!

Vasoline or motor oil work great.....I would stay away from the dishsoap tho....way too much alcohol in that type of soap, if you used it enough times, it can and will dry out your O-rings......good luck

I used Vasoline as per Al's recommendations. I think the injector got cocked as I placed the fuel rail with them attached on.

BigDaddy said:
Vasoline or motor oil work great.....I would stay away from the dishsoap tho....way too much alcohol in that type of soap, if you used it enough times, it can and will dry out your O-rings......good luck

way too much? Typical dish soap has only 4% alcohol.

I like it because its got a glycerine-y feel to it. It feels more slippery than motor oil. Nevertheless, if you want no alcohol, use something else.

DMan said:
Thats right. That's why dish soap works and NOT WD40 Mr. G R U M P Y :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

NOT to install them !! Learn to read :rolleyes: :p Mass people think they know everything :p

Just buy the right stuff o-ring lube it's a couple bucks at any auto parts store and leave the wifes stuff alone. :eek:

May be getting off the subject ........... but ........ thought the O-rings are "Buna" material and are pretty chemical and heat reistant? Or are they std cheap rubber material?

Don't know about "Buna" but my were blue-na :biggrin: