Ready To Go POSI. Is This The Correct Unit?

Eaton Torque Control Products 19557-010 - Eaton Posi Performance Differentials - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Does this look like the correct part for our 8.5" rear axles?

I plan to order tommorrow morning & want to insure that I have the correct part number.

Thanks
~JM~

Yes it's the correct one as long as you're planning on keeping the stock axles. Works great. I have the 30 spline version in my GN.

BTW, Eaton recommends the use of conventional gear oil with their posi units. I used Amalie when I put mine in but any dino will work. Friction modifier is needed as well.

How much does 30-spline axles cost?

I had thought about that before. My car is fairly stock. I just started to make enough power that the driven wheel can't stick by itself & spins easily while driving. If I bust a 28-spline will an upgraded after-market 28-spline be available that matches/exceeds a standard 30-splines strength?

Thanks
~JM~

The car is actually a big-block Chevy, and I do not know the owner personally so I cannot accurately answer your question, however since C-clip axles are NOT allowed faster than 11.0, I would think they are not C-clip?:confused:

Being a big-block, sometimes street car, it would be at least 3600#'s.

My thought is you could replace the axles with 30 spline, and still spend less than just installing an Eaton.

Lots of off-road guys use this locker unit. :)

Thanks Nick! I was thinking about going to a spool and c clip eliminators which would take away from the street manners. I don't have much faith in the aftermarket bolt in units like the Eaton for the faster, heavy cars, but ones like the one you brought up seem cheaper and stronger for a street/strip car.

There is LOTS of info available on-line about the use and installation of the Powertrax unit. A couple videos show how well it works, and the ease to install.

It can be installed in about an hour, and the ring and pinion is NOT disturbed. :)

Considering the added cost of an Eaton, plus the installation kit, plus the labor cost, it will be about 1/2 the cost of an Eaton.

The 4-wheeling guys love these as it is 100% locker, no slip at all between front and rear, no clutches to wear out, and durable as hell.

I am anxious about getting this one installed, and to try it out myself! :biggrin:

I killed one of the powertrax units in an almost stock GN. If you wheel hop at at all they don't engage and disengage fast enough and will eventually wear the teeth off .

Local 4-speed 440 mopar b body running one here. It's gotta weigh 3800lbs. I'm due for an upgrade and am considering this move also.

There is LOTS of info available on-line about the use and installation of the Powertrax unit. A couple videos show how well it works, and the ease to install.

It can be installed in about an hour, and the ring and pinion is NOT disturbed. :)

Considering the added cost of an Eaton, plus the installation kit, plus the labor cost, it will be about 1/2 the cost of an Eaton.

The 4-wheeling guys love these as it is 100% locker, no slip at all between front and rear, no clutches to wear out, and durable as hell.

I am anxious about getting this one installed, and to try it out myself! :biggrin:

Hate to shoot ya Nick, but it's a low speed unit and won't hold up the same as a posi or true locker. Works great off road because it's low speed but on the street Dewey's right. They don't hold up. Kinda like the way the old govlock units did.:eek:

Thanks Charlie, but we will see how well it works out! :)

The unit has a 2 year warranty, that should be enough time to wring it out. :biggrin:

I will use a synthetic fluid like we use with the spools which we find the rears hold up much longer than with regular stuff.