Read this if you plan on getting your car painted

GNRick

Retired member
Bodyshop removed the trim piece on the rear deck lid. Does anybody here know how that thing is attached to the deck lid? Well, I'll tell you. It is not simply screwed on. There is a rubber piece on each end that screws to the deck lid. There is also a thin metal tab that is riveted to the trim piece in the center right by the key hole and screwed to the deck lid. Well, these three pieces turned up missing when I went to install the trim. Luckily I had a spare deck lid with that trim piece attached. The trim is discontinued by GM.

I wonder if the trim piece on the top of hood by windshield in the same way

And that kinda thing makes me nervous Bc my car is at the body shop still wig the whole interior full of pieces. I wonder how much will get lost

And that kinda thing makes me nervous Bc my car is at the body shop still wig the whole interior full of pieces. I wonder how much will get lost

Hopefully they bagged the screws and labeled them. I don't think the hood trim piece is that complicated like the deck lid piece. If I didn't label all of the screws I would really be lost. I even managed to lose a few, but screws are easy to replace. One of the unique ones is the one with the pointy washer that holds the antenna on, inside the door jamb at the fender. I also removed the pass. side mirror. I made sure I didn't lose the housing for the joy stick in the dash, that adjusts the mirror.

Interesting on the deck lid trim, ive never removed one but as far as the trim on the hood that's up towards the windshield I have removed 3 so far and all 3 have come off easily with a rubber mallet just worked it evenly it's really easy to take off and put back on

trim

no it just is wedged i tapped mine off with a body hammer and tapped it back on with rubber hammer

I am planning to take mine in soon and this is good info. When you refer to the trim piece I assume you are talking about the "spoiler" along the top rear of the deck. If so I checked mine to see what you referred to and it appears to me that mine is attached with studs from the trim, through holes in the deck, and nuts and washers on the inside. I will however bring this to the painters attention so as to put him on notice.

I believe he is referring to the thin trim piece on the lip of the trunk lid just above the tail lights.

Sometime this week,I'll be picking my car up at the painters after having some work done. Some of which was a repaint of the trunk lid. I've known my painter for years. He is a 1-man show who obsesses about everything. I'll have to look at and ask him about that piece.

The only safe way to remove the trunk trim is to spread the load. A 12-16 inch piece of 2x2 1x2 to spread your gentle taps after the aforementioned screws are out. (IMHO)

I believe he is referring to the thin trim piece on the lip of the trunk lid just above the tail lights. Yes that is correct.
Sometime this week,I'll be picking my car up at the painters after having some work done. Some of which was a repaint of the trunk lid. I've known my painter for years. He is a 1-man show who obsesses about everything. I'll have to look at and ask him about that piece.

Funny thing- I've owned this car probably 5 years or more. The tab that attaches to the trunk trim in the center (just under the key hole) was sitting in my ash tray from day one. Previous owner must have removed it, or maybe I found it laying in the trunk one day, who knows. Anyway, I never knew what it was for, or even if it belonged in the car. Well, it is supposed to be attached with two very little rivets, to the trim piece. Since I've been researching this issue lately, I found the tab and attached it with two very little screws and nuts. The other end of it screws to the inside of the trunk lid. It even has it's original black color. The TR's with a chrome trim piece had a chrome tab. Funny how much joy the little things bring. Nobody would ever notice it was missing....except me.